It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• Couple of questions about procedures...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
    viking01
    (female)

viking01 HB User
    Arrow Couple of questions about procedures...

I had a couple of questions for you ladies.....

I am scheduled for a transvaginal ultrasound in 10 days. I know I have an enlarged uterus, maybe a couple of fibroids too. I know they can measure the thickness of the lining of the uterus, and check the size of fibroids. Can they tell from an ultrasound if there is uterine cancer? Or suspicion of cancer?

Second question, with a D&C, does that lining they scrape off automatically go to a pathologist?

Is a endometrial biopsy different than a D&C?

Thanks you any answers you might have. I'm trying to get a picture of what tests could diagnose uterine cancer.

Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
    pamg6
    (female)

pamg6 HB User
    Re: Couple of questions about procedures...

Hi,

To my understanding, the TVA (trans vaginal...) is able to check the thickness of the endometrium as well as other things. From there the doc should be able to tell you what he or she wants to do...for example, my doc says that my endometrium at 1.7 is quite thick for pre menapausal...she suggested a Hysteroscopy...this is where they not only scrape the endometrium, but are able to look way up with the help of a tiny light for polyps or any other questionable things in that area, for this you are heavily sedated, but breathing on your own, and it is a very quick procedure. The endometrial Byopsy is where they will just scrape the endometrium of tissue and then submit it to the pathologist. This is done in the docs office with having taken some Motrin or Advil about an hour before the procedure. This is also a quick procedure..sometimes with not only the tissue, if there is a polyp, they can sometimes get a fragmant of that and send it off to the pathologist. As I understand it, the reason for doing any of these types of procedures is to send a sample to the pathologist.
    Hope this helps.
    Pam

Closed Thread