It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• Scared silly

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User
    Scared silly

Ok well I was trying not to think of it, but tomorrow I go for a uterine biopsy and I am scared to death. First I just found out I am in menopause from my doctor and she wanted me to have this test because I have had spotting (dark blood, never when I wipe on in panties) for 9 months now. 2 months ago thought I had a period as when I wiped there was blood and was there for a few days. Everything was fine in blood test. Never had a regular period in my life was always 35 days or 50 days between them..I am 44 and haven't had a period in about 4 years. I am so scared of the pain for tomorrow. I was molested by a doctor when I was younger so this is all very hard for me.
    Does bleeding always mean its cancer???? what else could it be...haven't had any spotting or blood for weeks now. I am sorry if I am being a baby but I have no one to talk about this with and I am so scared...help..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
    darkwater
    (female)

darkwater HB User
    Re: Scared silly

No, it doesn't always mean cancer. But something is wrong in there. Maybe polyps or a thickened endometrial lining. They do not have to be cancerous, but you can't rule that out as a possibility until you get the biopsy done. Guess you had that today, right? Hope it wasn't as bad as you thought. I must say that because of my personal experience, I do not have as much faith in endometrial biopsies as I used to. I had one that said the cells lining my uterus were all clear. A month later I had a D and C that came back with pre-cancerous changes in the lining, which was a slap in the face after being told I was in the clear.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User

It wasn't as bad as I thought, it did hurt though. I have a question..when the doctor took the sample out she said "oh I didn't get much tissue, that is good"..I didn't think much about it (I took an ativan prior to the procedure) and now I am wondering why its a good thing she didn't get a lot of tissue..anyone know??? She also said my uterus felt fine, not enlarged or anything but I don't know what all this means.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
    darkwater
    (female)

darkwater HB User

I have heard others say this before. I think it might mean that if there were a lot of overgrowth of tissue (more is worse, less is better), she would have gotten a lot of tissue in the sample she took. So maybe there is only some minor growth going on. A hopeful sign, in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User
    Re: Please help and reply...please

My gyno's secretary just called...she goes "We got the results for the uterine biopsy" the dr wants to move up your appointment to next Friday" I started freaking out and crying...I said oh no on no, is it cancer...The secretary said I can tell you one think "It does not show cancer"..but..there are abnormalities in the endometrial lining or something so she wants to do a hysteroscopy and d & c at the same time..but when you go next Friday she will explain it all...well I lost it..I cried for half hour and then came here to post. What the heck does this mean..well abnormalites..means cancer right???? What else could that possibly mean? I am going to call her back they are closed for lunch..but what can that mean??? To me it means cancer doesn't it?? I should have stayed calm and listened more but I freaked out....I think I heard her say something about the fact she has seen this before and it could have something to do with hormones or a thickened lining and that is treated with a d&c but if the lining is think does that not mean cancer??..I just don't know.... please help me.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it doesn't necessarily mean cancer
    it could be a benign tumor, a uterine fibroid....I have a couple that caused some irregular bleeding. They were discovered thru a pelvic ultrasound because I didn't want the endometrial biopsy (I'm a chicken)

Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User
    Re: Scared silly(update, please help if anyone knows)

So I called back calmer, and she said I have hyperplasia, I don't know what that is....my gp called to and prescribed ativan...she told me that if it was advanced cancer they would say it was that because they would see it forsure, so that was good, and also, the sample from the biopsy was probably small so that is why they want to do the d&c to get more of a sample and that if there is a abnormality or a start of a cancer, sometimes a d & c is all that is needed... I am freaking out..what a good way to start the new year. Does anyone have any info they can help me with???

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
    shisslak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
    Re: Scared silly(update, please help if anyone knows)

kasianni

If the report says that you have atypical hyperplasia, than that means that you have precancerous cells that need to be removed and you will need to be followed closely. If your report is only hyperplasia, than you simply have abnormal cells and the d&c will insure that they are cleaned out. Believe me when I tell you, if the pathology came back with cancer, they would not be scheduling you for a hysterscope and D&c. My best guess is that maybe you have a polyp and they wish to remove it along with cleaning out your uterine lining. 90 percent of polyps are benign. I just had one removed a couple of years ago.
    Shame on your doctor for having the secretary call you instead of the doctor.

Good luck with everything and relax, you will be fine.

Closed Thread