It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• It may not be, but I'm worried about thickening of the womb wall

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
    MrsDanni
    (female)

MrsDanni HB User
    It may not be, but I'm worried about thickening of the womb wall

Hi, please bear with me if this seems stupid, especially with the real problems that some of you are bearing so bravely.

I've been through the menopause and had my last period about 7 years ago - no problems apart from hot flushes so I've got off lightly.

I've had lower back pain for some time but this is probably because I'm overweight and have a job that involves a lot of lifting. However...

Three weeks ago, I started bleeding so went to my doc straight away. Last week I had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed that the wall of my womb is "much thicker than it should be". There were no polyps, cysts or fibroids and my ovaries and cervix are normal. I have an appt with a gynaecologist for a biopsy next week.

I'm trying to act as normal, but at the back of my mind there is a big "What if?" To be honest I feel like I'm living in limbo and just want to know one way or the other.

My question is, how relevant are bleeding and womb thickening to cancer? In that, could it be something else, or is it more likely?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
    shisslak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
    Re: It may not be, but I'm worried about thickening of the womb wall

MrsDanni,

The first thing a gyncologist considers with a thicken uterine lining is Uterine Cancer--however, quite a few post menopausal women have a thicken uterine lining and the biopsy comes back negative. If you are able to have hormones than the doctor will prescribe a form of birth control pill that contains either just progesterone or both estrogen and progesterone which will give you a period so that you can shed the lining. The doctor may also just perform a D&C to clean out the lining. How do they know you do not have any uterine polyps--you usually can not see that on an ultrasound unless they do a special kind of ultrasound.
    I had a lining that measured 18mm and the biopsy came back normal, my doctor did a hystroscope and d&c. He found that I in fact had a large uterine polyp. He removed it and I have fine.

When do you see the doctor for your biopsy? Word to the wise--take some Advil or extra strength Tylenol one hour before the procedure, this will help with the cramping.

Let me know how you do--Good Luck

Brenda

Closed Thread