It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• Hysterectomy as a precaution?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
    Mainegirl
    (female)

Mainegirl HB User
    Hysterectomy as a precaution?

I'm going in to have a large uterine polyp removed later in the month. The dr. has suggested getting the Mirena IUD afterwards (I have the copper one now).

He says the hormones in the Mirena may prevent the polyps from coming back in the future. I have heard many bad side effects of these IUDs and would like to have a partial hysterectomy instead.

My question is, would I be able to outright request an hysterectomy or do I have to wait until my doctor thinks I'm eligible to get one (say, if he wants to try hormone therapy first for my heavy bleeding, etc...).

I'm tired of having a menstrual cycle and I don't want to have to worry about birth control anymore. I'm done with kids (I will be 40).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
    Re: Hysterectomy as a precaution?

Was the polyp benign? Pre-cancerous?
    The vast majority of them are benign. They are a nuisance problem only, causing irregular bleeding and stuff. i recently had one removed for that reason. It was benign; as I said, they usually are.
    A hysterectomy for benign polyps sounds excessive, and I doubt if a reputable doctor would even do it.
    You'll stop getting polyps after menopause anyway, since they're caused by estrogen, so you don't have that much longer to deal with them.

If the polyp was precancerous, then yes, it does seem reasonable to consider hysterectomy (although I'd consider it long and hard, and weigh all the pros and cons).
    But if it was benign? You don't need a hysterectomy. That's like chopping your nose off to get rid of a pimple.

Best of luck.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

you could have your tubes tied to prevent any further pregnancy worries.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
    Mainegirl
    (female)

Mainegirl HB User

I didn't have my surgery yet, but the dr. says it's uncommon for a cancerous polyp at my age.

I'm just tired of the whole damn thing with menstrual cycles, and birth control, etc...I've been through enough and just want to enjoy my life.

I know the polyps can come back and if you are getting them after menopause, they are most likely cancerous. So why not just take out the area the polyps grow on so I don't have to worry about this anymore?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ella9999 View Post
    I didn't have my surgery yet, but the dr. says it's uncommon for a cancerous polyp at my age.

I'm just tired of the whole damn thing with menstrual cycles, and birth control, etc...I've been through enough and just want to enjoy my life.

I know the polyps can come back and if you are getting them after menopause, they are most likely cancerous. So why not just take out the area the polyps grow on so I don't have to worry about this anymore?
    You're not likely to get them after menopause. That's the point.
    They're caused by estrogen.
    They'll continue to grow back (almost always benign) as long as you still have a good amount of estrogen. After menopause, they're very unlikely to grow back.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
    ninamarc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I have a sister who went through hysterectomy after she got precancerous result.
    It was pre-emptive measure. She kept her ovaries for hormone balance. You still need hormone for bone density.
    Good luck,
    Nina

Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

When I was 39 I had a partial hysterectomy due to a small tumor in the uterus. Like you I was having the heavy bleeding etc. etc. and was always exhausted around that time of the month. I just had a good long talk with my Dr. in which I expressed my desire to just get a hysterectomy and get it over with. He said he agreed but was leary because of my age. Like I told him, I'm not intending to have anymore children and as far as any Physiological problems after I seriously doubted I would have any.

I had it done without the ovaries being removed and when I went for my 6 month check up I told him it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Oh yes I got the menapause symptoms and after about a year went on hormone pills but only for about 4 years and then was able to deal with the "sweats" on my own. Express your concerns and see what your Dr. says. Not all will do it when your young, but I so identify with your situation.

Good luck...JJ....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
    Mainegirl
    (female)

Mainegirl HB User

I had my surgery on Wednesday, when I asked about hyst or ablation, he said that he was hoping the removal was all the treatment I was going to need.

Just leave everything alone and don't remove anything unless its necessary, etc...

He took out my IUD because he couldn't avoid messing with it to get to this big polyp so, most likely, I'll go back in a month or two and get another IUD (copper).

Closed Thread