It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• 8mm thickening had endom biopsy scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
    rose827
    (female)

rose827 HB User
    8mm thickening had endom biopsy scared

I am 51, no period for 6 months. Normal pap in January, my gp wanted me to have a tansvaginal because I tend to have some blood after intercourse (always have) as well as vaginal irritation. SHOCKED when she called to tell me my uterine lining is 8mm and need an endometrium biopsy to rule out cancer. Went to gyno yesterday and she did the procedure, which was painful, yet, though she seemed not concerned because I am not complete menopause, and do not have heavy bleeding. I am such an anxious woman and desperately need help as to how to deal with this waiting period for biopsy results. Can someone help me who has been through this, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: 8mm thickening had endom biopsy scared

I am sorry you are going through this! It is fairly common for the lining to thicken during perimenopause due to lack of ovulation hence missed periods (as a result of reduced progesterone production). But the body usually does a good job of thinning out the lining on its own before menopause. And if it doesn't, a prescription of progesterone or a progestin typically does the trick. Endometrial cancer is quite rare with lifetime risk of only 2.7%. So try to focus on the fact that this is more than likely nothing serious. Hang in there and I hope to hear good results soon!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Rose...she's right. The cause is more likely benign than it is cancer. You're only human to worry and fear the worst, so I won't say "don't". I'm reasonably sure that your biopsy results will reveal a cause that is treatable. Try to keep yourself busy and OFF the search sites, or you'll go nuts=)

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
    rose827 (03-13-2014)
    Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
    rose827
    (female)

rose827 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    I am sorry you are going through this! It is fairly common for the lining to thicken during perimenopause due to lack of ovulation hence missed periods (as a result of reduced progesterone production). But the body usually does a good job of thinning out the lining on its own before menopause. And if it doesn't, a prescription of progesterone or a progestin typically does the trick. Endometrial cancer is quite rare with lifetime risk of only 2.7%. So try to focus on the fact that this is more than likely nothing serious. Hang in there and I hope to hear good results soon!
    Hi StLouisgal, your words are very helpful, as this is what the gyno said. It's the ruling out part because of thickening and post-coital / vag irritation from intercourse though I've dealt with that many times in our married life. Thankful that I do have to have cancer ruled out and am trying, trying so hard to think positive. Will focus on your comments and will update all of you kind, empathetic women who have given me amazing emotional support- thankful for this site and all of you

Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
    rose827
    (female)

rose827 HB User

Whistledixie your insight is appreciated and you are a valuable member of this thread (and others which I've read to keep my mind OFF the negative thinking). Can't express enough how thankful I am to be heard and thought of by you and other women. Your words have uplifted me. You are a great support to me-

The following user gives a hug of support to rose827:
    WhistleDixie (03-13-2014)
    Closed Thread