It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• 19 mm uterine stripe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
    Haley2u2003
    (female)

Haley2u2003 HB User
    19 mm uterine stripe

Hi. I had an US due to bleeding between periods and it showed a 19 mm uterine stripe. I am 51 years old and still menstruating. I had two small fibroids in the past but they have disappeared . Had D&C for a uterine polyp at 40 but no polyp was seen on this US. I am scheduled for hysteroscooe and D&C on Tuesday. There is no pattern to my bleeding currently. A will bleed/spot of and on all month. My dr thinks it is either another polyp or endometrial hyperplasia. Uterus itself is not enlarged. Anyone else deal with this ? I just thought hormones but I am not having heavy enough periods to shed the lining myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: 19 mm uterine stripe

Ultrasounds are best done 1 or 2 days after a "full" period ends since that is when the lining is thinnest. Of course, it can be hard to know when that is if perimenopause has caused a lot of irregular bleeding.

And yes polyps can be present without being visible on the u/s and can make the lining look thicker than it is. Ditto for small fibroids (so it's possible they are still there but have shrunk). Hope the D&C (and polyp removal if you have one/some) takes care of the irregular bleeding and the biopsy shows nothing serious. If you do have hyperplasia, it's usually treatable with progestins. Let us know how it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    Haley2u2003 (06-01-2014)
    Old 05-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The thick endometrium is caused by lack of ovulation when women get near menopause. They continue to secrete estrogen, which builds the lining up, but fail to secrete progesterone when ovulation doesn't occur, so the lining builds up and outgrows its own blood supply, causing the frequent bleeding. Since your lining is about double what it should be, a D&C will remove it, allow the tissue to be examined, and then you'll have a "clean slate" again. Your OB/GYN may want you to cycle with progesterone orally every month to prevent it from building up excessively again. You take it 10 days out of each month, with your period occurring 2-4 days after stopping the progesterone. This is very common in women nearing menopause. A D&C is quick and effective treatment for this.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    Haley2u2003 (06-01-2014)
    Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
    Haley2u2003
    (female)

Haley2u2003 HB User

Thanks so much for responding. I will be glad to get the D&C over with and get the clean slate Normally I don't get to anxious about this stuff as I am a nurse but this off/on spotting is a first for me. Thanks again !!

Closed Thread