It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

post-menopuase thickened endometrium

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Annmar
(female)

Annmar HB User
post-menopuase thickened endometrium

Hi I have just had a hysteroscopy and and awaiting biopsy result. I am post meno and had a bleed (2 years after my last period) in July. I have a fibroid and following my hysteroscopy was told that I have a thickened wall of the endometrium which is vascular. Any one know what this might mean? I am not sure if this could all be caused by the fibroid, shouldn't that shrink and die after menopause? Also what is the significance of the vascularity? I am grateful if anyone can shed any light on the possible causes and diagnoses of my symptoms.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: post-menopuase thickened endometrium

Post-menopausal bleeding is more common than most women realize and is usually nothing serious. It seems to be more common within the 5 years after periods end and can usually be "chalked up" to sporadic ovarian activity since the ovaries continue producing hormones into a woman's 80's. Fibroids or polyps make this more likely to happen. And they can also make the lining appear thicker than it is because it can be difficult to differentiate polyps and some types of fibroids from the lining itself.

So chances are that the biopsy is negative. If by chance you do have some hyperplasia, most cases are treatable / curable with a progestin medication. Let us know what the biopsy shows...hoping for good news.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
Annmar (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I recently had the same procedure as you (camera investigation because of bleeding 3 years after last period) I was found to have a polyp and thickened uterus wall, biopsies were taken and arrangements made for me to have an operation to remove the polyp and D&C which removes the womb lining. I am recovering from that op and my biopsy results were negative for anything nasty

Hope this helps

Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Annmar
(female)

Annmar HB User

Thank you for this - I think they did a D&C at the same time as I was under a general anaesthetic so hopefully if the biopsy is clear there might not be anything else necessary unless they remove the fibroid. Great to have had two such helpful replies - thank you

Closed Thread