It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

very ill defined endometrium

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
nuni
(female)

nuni HB User
very ill defined endometrium

hello all,

I had a transvaginal ultrasound, for heavy menstrual bleeding, and the result came back as not being able to asses endometrial thickness as it is very ill defined...Did any of you had that ? My family doctor wants me to have a sonohysterogram on the first 7 days of my period next month. Meanwhile I am very concerned as per what does this mean. They also said that there are two fibroids and the uterus appears adenomyotic.
Please share if you have any similar experience. I am 42 not menopausal , regular periods but heavy.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: very ill defined endometrium

Ultrasounds are not "foolproof" so things like submucosal fibroids and polyps cannot always be differentiated from the endometrium itself. This can cause it to appear thicker in those spots - not sure if this is akin to being "ill defined." Adenomyosis is difficult to diagnose too but ultrasound can sometimes give a "hunch" as to whether you have it. Thankfully, these conditions are almost always benign but can cause heavy bleeding and even some pain. A sonohysterogram would allow your doctor to get a better view of the uterine cavity.

Being that you are 42, it is possible that hormonal changes could be contributing to the heavy bleeding. Inconsistent ovulations during perimenopause can cause all kinds of menstrual cycle changes, heavy bleeding being a common one. Thankfully, hormonal or non-hormonal meds are oftentimes effective at managing it.

Did you mean to say the sonohysterogram is being done "the first 7 days after my period" versus "the first 7 days of my period"? It is usually done shortly after your period not during since that is when the lining is thinnest.

Hoping the test goes well and everything looks normal!

Old 02-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
nuni
(female)

nuni HB User

Thank you for replying to my post. The sonohysterogram they said I should have it between day 7-10 of my period...if not bleeding still. I am very concerned to be honest.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I am sorry you are so concerned! Did your doctor say something in particular? I had a gynecologic condition that had a very slight risk of cancer. Unfortunately, I was over-treated and permanently harmed (unnecessary hysterectomy and ovary removal). So it is good that this additional testing is being done. Hopefully, it will give you peace of mind. And if there is anything concerning, chances are you are catching it early so that conservative treatment has a very good chance of treating it.

Did your doctor check your hemoglobin and iron levels to make sure you are not becoming anemic? Thankfully, iron supplements especially taken with vitamin C can help that.

Try to stay calm!

Closed Thread