It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

Extremely worried about lump in upper abdomen

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User
Extremely worried about mass in upper abdomen

Almost 3 months ago I noticed I was starting to get short of breath doing everyday chores like making the bed etc. I can't pick up my 2 year old most days. I made an appointment with my new primary care but because I was a new patient they gave me an appt for months out. In the mean time about a lil over a month and a half ago while in the shower I noticed a lump below my ribs, I was worried but I already had an appointment set up so I just waited, then on April 17th when I was drying off in that area it felt like the lump was moving when I was pushing slightly down to dry off. I went to the ER. The ER doctor felt around and said she felt a Lipoma, I told her she wasn't feeling in the correct spot that it was a little further left but she left out of the room and didnt come back. They did no scans or anything if that nature.

While waiting for my Dr appt I notice O can feel something there without touching the area. If I am just sitting down I can feel it, its not painful just uncomfortable, like feeling something in your body that isn't supposed to be there. I avoid touching it because it worries me and I don't like how it feels. Its like when I push it, I can feel it touching other things inside my body and it freaks me out. I have a very hard time describing how it feels.
I had my dr appointment today, the dr said he didn't feel any Lipoma in the area the er dr felt it but he did feel something in my upper abdomen exactly the area I feel it in. He ordered x rays of my chest and my ribs, he said to make sure he didn't miss what the er dr said she felt and he ordered a cat scan of my abdomen without contrast. The paper work says scan for upper left quadrant abdominal mass. I am worried out of my mind! I had the x rays done directly after my dr appt at the hospital and the lady who did them really freaked me out by the things she was saying like, "I will make sure your dr gets these today" when I asked her if that means something bad she said no its good that you know what's going on and then she asked me if I had a follow up appt with my dr and when it was. I have the ct scan set up for 6:00am Wednesday morning but my brain is going non stop. I feel like I want to run back to the er for a ct scan right now. Another thing I think is strange is in my rib area on my back level where the lump is in the front there is numbness for about 7 or 8 days now. I have only had this feeling 1 time but it was on the right side. The chrio did an xray and he said it was from one of my ribs twisted and thats what was causing the numbness. I haven't had this feeling in years and now suddenly its back and at the same level as the lump. I also feel it kinda on my side as well just not as noticed as the back area. I feel like I'm in a nightmare

I am 35 years old and have smoked
for a very long time. I recently changed over to an e cig.

Has anyone been through something similar? I am really scared.

Last edited by Careful1; 05-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User
Re: Extremely worried about lump in upper abdomen

Just got a call cat scan that was set up for tomorrow morning has been cancelled because insurance has not authorized it yet and no one seems to know how long it will take. The nurse did give me results of my chest x ray and ribs x ray and she said they were normal. I didn't really think the x rays would show anything anyways so I wish I could feel relived that they don't. The mass is under my left rib to the far left.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You cannot feel cancer. Either by touch or inside you.

Chances are you are feeling a bruised rib OR a pulled muscle or you could have even gotten a hernia....but you really shouldnt be focused on cancer. There are a million other things it could be.

When we focus on things which are negative, our minds have a way of convicing ourselves of doom. Think positive. Youll get the insurance authorization- probabaly tomorrow and youll know soon enough.

have you had any blood work to check for abnormalitie?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User

I know you cant feel cancer but you can feel tumors and this thing I have is not a bruised rib. Its a mass and when I push it I can feel it move. Its good sized and it wasnt even there 2 months ago and if it was it was to small to notice. Its not my ribs, its under my ribs in my upper abdomen. I did have blood work done today but they were just basic labs.. Cholesterol, white count, red count etc.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User

I went to the imaging place on May 4th and paid to have the ct scan done. I called my drs office today to see if the results were there yet. I spoke with his nurse and she told me the dr had already signed off on it so she was free to give me the results unless I wanted to wait and go over the findings with my dr on my next appt. She said the scan saw a kidney stone and a small hernia near my belly button but all else was normal. I am very confused because we can feel it in there so not sure why it isn't showing on the scan. Maybe its because it wasn't done with IV contrast? They had me drink a barrium but thats all because my dr ordered it without contrast. I don't know how I feel about it I suppose I should feel relieved and I won't lie and say that part of me isn't but a bigger part of me cant feel relieved because because I know its there, I am just not sure why the scan isnt showing it. This is all so very frustrating and I must seen like a crazy person but I promise I am not.

Last edited by Careful1; 05-06-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Reply Reply