It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

Asbestos

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
TMCtmc
Inactive

TMCtmc HB User
Asbestos

I was made to go in a small closet with parts of the roof all over the floor and vacuum. Building built in 1989.

I think he (my employer) neglected to tell me about the asbestos and I know think I have been exposed.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Asbestos

Exposure to asbestos doesnt happen in hours or even days. You have to be exposed multiple times for it to do any damage. People live in houses with asbestos houses for years and have no idea that they do, the exposure is minimal until the roof is being pulled off.

You are not at risk for vacuuming a closet.

If you are in the construction business, it is up to you to wear a mask or breathing apparatus to protect what goes into your lungs. You should be protecting yourself and your employer doesn't have to protect you.

Last edited by MSNik; 09-16-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
TMCtmc
Inactive

TMCtmc HB User

I read that you only have to be exposed once and the employer is supposed to identify PPE, and beyond a hardhat and steel toes they are also suppose to provide it.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/asbestos/asbestos-fact-sheet
And they also have a dity to detect and put up a sign.

http://www.asbestos.vic.gov.au/in-the-workplace/employees

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Do not post derogatory comments.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear TMCtmc,

If as a maid vacuuming a closet you have any concern about dust, simply wear a dust mask found at any hardware store and shower when you get home. Not all old houses were built with asbestos, so you can put that worry to rest.

I read this on one link that you included -
you have a general duty to:
take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work
http://www.asbestos.vic.gov.au/in-the-workplace/employees

I live in an area where asbestos tile is used on outside walls of many of the houses. It is perfectly safe when left on the house. To remove or replace the asbestos tile requires protection for the worker.

If you were a construction worker where asbestos is being removed or replaced workers are required to wear protective gear. Who has to pay for that gear depends on the company. Companies can require that workers provide their own protective gear.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=29&po=6

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-17-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Harri3t
Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

IIRC from your pre-edited post, you don't live in the US or Australia so you can't go by the regulations written in either of the government websites you posted. Look at the regulations pertinent to your own country and contact your own gov't agencies if you need help and they offer employee assistance. For instance, in the US you could contact OSHA, file a complaint and ask for a workplace assessment. But that said, as the others who replied, I don't believe you are at high risk from a single short exposure.

Reply Reply