It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• Is there actually a blood test to detect cancer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
    The_Cheese_Man
    Inactive

The_Cheese_Man HB User
    Question Is there actually a blood test to detect cancer?

Hi

Is there a general blood test to detect cancer?. I just had a CBC w/Diff plus Electrolytes and BMP (Basic Metabolic Profile) and it all came back normal. If I had cancer (even in the early stages) would it have shown up in some way (ie; some "warning sign") that would have told the doctors that further tests were needed?.

I have read that there are various (specific) tests that I can ask for but I forgot what they were now. What should I ask for when I see my GP again?. I have had lymph nodes swell behind my left ear, in front of my left ear, under the left part of my jaw, left portion of my neck, etc off and on for years now. It always happens on the left so something is definately going on there and yet I've had many tests and everything always comes back normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Is there actually a blood test to detect cancer?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Cheese_Man
    Hi

Is there a general blood test to detect cancer?. I just had a CBC w/Diff plus Electrolytes and BMP (Basic Metabolic Profile) and it all came back normal. If I had cancer (even in the early stages) would it have shown up in some way (ie; some "warning sign") that would have told the doctors that further tests were needed?.

I have read that there are various (specific) tests that I can ask for but I forgot what they were now. What should I ask for when I see my GP again?. I have had lymph nodes swell behind my left ear, in front of my left ear, under the left part of my jaw, left portion of my neck, etc off and on for years now. It always happens on the left so something is definately going on there and yet I've had many tests and everything always comes back normal.
    Depending on whether or not you are a male or female, there is the PSA(males), CEA males or females, CA125(females) LDH and Alkaline Phospatase tests. The first three are tumor markers and are not reliable except to monitor a known tumor. The PSA will alert the presence of cancer in males.
    There is a bone marrow biopsy that is truly painful for some, it will reveal problems at the bone level in terms of manufacture of defective blood cells. A biopsy of the swollen lymph node you are referring to will reveal whether or not there is anything malignant going on in your neck. However, if you have ever had a virus, you could have had a swollen lymph node to occur. If you have a bad tooth or have had a root canal done, that will cause lymph nodes in that area to enlarge due to the tinkering of needles and novocaine etc. If you have ever had a cat scratch you, your body may have had a minor reaction to the gland secretions in the cats claw area(where cats leave their scent for other cats.) Lymph nodes swell if you even have an exposure to a virus, it is the way that your immune system fights disease. The left side is likely to swell due to the fact that the spleen is on that side and a major emptying lymph channel where your body cleans itself up is also in the region.( all of this is normal)

Old 01-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

Dont forget about a CA 19-9. I know you dont dagnose cancer with tumor markers, but if it was not for me running a CA 19-9 and it being sky high, we would have never got the ball rolling and in the end...diagnosis....liver cancer.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Just a bit about the cancer markers...while if they are elevated is certainly is an indication of cancer, they can't be used as a screening tool because in many cancers they are not elevated. Even people with advanced breast cancer, for example, may have a normal CA-125, and in men and elevated PSA may indicate cancer or it may indicate benign prostatitis.

And there is no one single blood test that can screen for all types of cancer.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Also, Cheese Man, I noticed that you said this has been going on for years, so I seriously doubt it's cancer. If you'd had cancer for years, things would most likely have gotten much worse, and you would be having other symptoms.

That's not to say that this isn't problematic, and you are right to want some kind of definitive answer as to what the heck is causing the swollen lymph nodes.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

I totally agree with Sam, You cannot use markers alone. But Doctors look at the whole picture, take all findings, including any lab work, physical exam, any kind of x-rays or CAT scans, etc... My situation was very unique. If my mothers CA 19-9 was not high, we would have never known about her cancer.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 AM   #7
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User

There is something called the AMAS test, and it can detect if you have cancer anywhere in your body. It actually is very accurate. There are only two problems with it. One is that it is only offered by one laboratory that most doctors aren't associated with and most insurance doesn't cover (although I think Medicare will cover). The other problem is that it doesn't tell you where the cancer is, although if it comes up +, most people will have some idea about which part of their body isn't feeling quite right. It detects the antibody to tumors, so that's why it's accurate. You can write to the company (an email), and they'll send you a kit. You just need to get someone to draw the blood for you, pack it with dry ice, and ship it. There, of course, are some doctors who offer the test, you might want to check the Alternative Medicine magazine website, and a lot of the doctors on the doctor search there are more open minded to things. It's not an alternative test, though, it's just one of those things, a company developed a really good test, and instead of licensing it to different labs so everyone can benefit, they hoard it and you have to jump through hoops to get it done.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
    FluffySockers

FluffySockers HB User

Quote:
    Hi

my grandfather had a blood test for that reason about a year ago today, strangely enough... anyways, it came back negative but they didn more testing and it turns out the blood test wasn't at all that good since he had a large bowel tumor (that would've killed him if it grw any larger, and a small liver tumor).

Anyways, blood tests can be used for diagnoses, but they are the least likely to get a proper diagnoses

Old 02-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
    SAN DIEGO

SAN DIEGO HB User

YES YES YES !!! I found the info on the internet. IT was just approved by the FDA and Medicare does pay for it. I Have been trying to get my doctor to authorize it so I Don't have to pay for it. he has never heard of it so he won;t authorize it. The Lab testing costs $135. The name of the test is: AMAS TEST - marketed under 'target antigen'. look on the internet. Print out the $ pages and show it to your doctor.

This test is better than Mammograms. I decided to just pay for it myself.

GOOD LUCK !!

Old 02-29-2004, 08:27 AM   #10
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: AMAS Detects all possible Cancer

Quote:
    Hi

I have just found out about a test called AMAS. This test supposedly will test the entire body by blood test for any kind of Cancer activity. It apparently is 95% accurate on the first test and then after the tumor is located 99.9 % accurate after that. It apparently detects the antigens that only cancer produces, thereby not being fooled by benign tumors such as lipomas, fibromas, and infections from bacteria. I understand that if you look it up on the internet you can by a kit and take it to your doctor who can refer you to a laboratory that will draw the blood and use the kit. If you are concerned about a possible cancer it will give your doctor a place to start looking.

Closed Thread