It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• My right testicle has a small lump...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
    Emak

Emak HB User
    My right testicle has a small lump...help

I was performing my first "self exam" and I have found a small lump in my right testicle......no, not really a lump, more like a deformed vein or something......hard to explain...when hanging down it seems to be just about at the very bottom, and since this was my first exam, i dont want to jump to conclusions because in the back of my mind i know i'm a hypochondriac. so is there any definitive way to tell if its a vein or something else?.....should there be a small lump down there? it is rather sensitive when i poke at it. i sould point out this 'lump' is not free-floating but seems to be attached to my testicle. please help me not panic. it would be insane for me to find something on my first exam and run to the doctor wouldn't it?
    i dont even have insurance. should i just lay back and see if it grows or something?

Last edited by Emak; 09-24-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
    Re: My right testicle has a small lump...help

You should go to a doctor ASAP. I think I have the same hting as you (I posted in the men's health section) but I've been trying to get a doctor all week with no luck, either no one picks up, or they don't take patients

Old 09-24-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

It's very possible to find it on your first exam, the problems with my testicles started when I was just 14 so I have no clue how a normal testicle is supposed to feel like. It's best to just go see a doctor about it if one testicle differs from the other.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
    Emak

Emak HB User

do you guys think i should see a general practitioner or a urologist?

does anyone here know, could a small lump on one testicle be just a normal part of its structure? this lump does seem fixed to one spot, it doesn't "float" around. feels like a real tiny rough pebble, a jagged rock. much smalled than a pea. could this be some sort of vein?

Last edited by Emak; 09-24-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

The general practitioner will probably just refer you to a Urologist, so you might as well skip the middle man.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
    Emak

Emak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebloggs2
    The general practitioner will probably just refer you to a Urologist, so you might as well skip the middle man.

what does anyone else think about my description in my last post "a tiny bump that feels like a jagged pebble"
    could it be a vein? or something else normal? this was my first self exam

Old 09-25-2004, 04:45 AM   #7
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

My son's{18 now} ped dr found his during a sports exam. His is called a varicosiceloele of the testicle{plese check the spelling when you Yahoo} and it is generally harmless. But the dr did say it can lead to sterility so he goes for annual ultrasounds. So far he has a limited blood flow in that area which is what causes the pain . Of course he doesn't discuss it too much and doesn't want me in the office when he goes to the Urologist but I Yahoo and I do talk to the dr a little. He MIGHT need surgery to correct it and if I understand it correctly it is a simple procedure.
    Go to your PCP and they will refer you out to Urology if needed.
    Good Luck.
    Bonnie

Old 09-25-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
    Emak

Emak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bhuneke
    My son's{18 now} ped dr found his during a sports exam. His is called a varicosiceloele of the testicle{plese check the spelling when you Yahoo} and it is generally harmless. But the dr did say it can lead to sterility so he goes for annual ultrasounds. So far he has a limited blood flow in that area which is what causes the pain . Of course he doesn't discuss it too much and doesn't want me in the office when he goes to the Urologist but I Yahoo and I do talk to the dr a little. He MIGHT need surgery to correct it and if I understand it correctly it is a simple procedure.
    Go to your PCP and they will refer you out to Urology if needed.
    Good Luck.
    Bonnie

thank you.

the bump in question if ever so tiny really, but my left testicle doesn't have it. not even near the size of a "pea" as i've seen described as to what to look for. however what concerns me is that it is more sensitive to pressure than the rest of the testicle. the best way to describe it would probably be that it feels like a grain of rice.
    what does anyone else think?

Last edited by Emak; 09-25-2004 at 03:09 PM.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Varicocele is the correct spelling. check it out.

Old 09-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #10
    Emak

Emak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bhuneke
    Varicocele is the correct spelling. check it out.

does that sound like what it may be? i'm only 27. im probably just being paranoid. everything ive read describes a tumor as a "pea sized lump". this is more like a grain of rice or something. what do you think?

Old 09-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #11
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I don't know about tumors, although I did have a large one on my leg and have a limb salvage prosthesis.
    I know my son said his kind of aches, he of course won't talk to much about it, it will be time for his Ultrasound in DEc. We do have a lot of cancer in my family. My brother who is 2 yrs older is doing chemo/radiarion for oral cancer and lyphoma. Sorry I can't spell worth a darn.

I would go to PCP and or Urologist however your insurance does it and put your mind to rest. I did read that Varicocele are usually on the left side for some reason. If you search them you might find something that sounds familiar.

You will probably have to have an US a little family tree knowelegde might come in handy. Fear is your own worst enemy but sometimes what you don't know CAN hurt you. I know when I found out about my tumor I had pai n for at least 10 yrs but I was a runner and very active. Always making excuses and then when I actually went to PCP and said I think I have tumor this dr said no you don't and laughed at me. Thank God my BIL is an Ortho Dr and hooked me up with an Ortho Oncologist who I knew thru him. Made the whole surgery process a lot easier.

Good Luck,
    Bonnie

Old 09-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #12
    ScarlettGA
    (female)

ScarlettGA HB User

I don't mean to scare anyone here - but my opinion is that the original poster should go to a doctor and get checked out as soon as possible. There is no sense in worrying oneself sick when it may or may not be anything at all. The only reason I feel so strongly about it is that my son had a very good childhood friend who ignored that little jagged lump for some months. He was embarassed to tell anyone. By the time he got to the doctor he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and died at the age of 17 years old exactly 6 months from being diagnosed. Cancer does happen in young people - it might be rare but it DOES happen. Please go to a doctor who can properly diagnose the problem (if there is one). Take Care and let us know how your appointment goes...Scarlett

Old 09-26-2004, 01:46 AM   #13
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

ScarlettGA: I was too scared to tell anyone about my problem and it's been close to 5 years now, should I of have been dead if it was cancer? I am going to see a doctor on Monday, going to be the scariest day of my life.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
    ScarlettGA
    (female)

ScarlettGA HB User

Sorry to have scared you joebloggs2 - I thought you had just found this lump and was asking everyone for a diagnosis - I apologize for my assumptions. And to answer your question - YES! I would think (could be wrong) you would have been dead by now if it were cancer. The young man I was referring was embarassed, too. I often wondered if he would have had a better prognosis had he told someone about the problem sooner. NEVER be embarassed to talk to a doctor about whatever (I know that is easier said than done) but sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and tell someone. Again - I'm really sorry for scaring you but I'd rather have you scared and doing something about the problem than waiting for a positive post and forgetting about it all. I hope you understand. Take care and please let me know what the doctor says. Scarlett

Old 09-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #15
    Polinka

Polinka HB User

Please go to the doctor ASAP!!!It doesn't matter how big or small this thing is,only doctor will be able to really tell you what is going on.My first husband was diagnosed with the cancer of testicle at the age of 21.At first he found very small tumor,a size of a rice,he didn't go to the doctor thinking it is not a big deal and "cancer doesn't happen at 21".Six month later the tumor grew to a size of an egg,my husband,finally went to the doctor,was immediately diagnosed with cancer (they have some kind of lamp and can do it on the spot),he underwent sergery and 2 courses of chimo.9 years later - is still alive and well,BUT he was lucky sun of a ***** ,his doctor told us that the younger you are the more agressive tumor is.Oh,and,I guess,the most important thing,after all this sergeries he still had to have sex 2-4 times a week,had a tremedous sex drive and still does,even with one testicle - ladies just love him!

Last edited by Polinka; 09-27-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Closed Thread