It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• need information on side effects of radiation to the larynx (throat)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #1
    debra8940
    (female)

debra8940 HB User
    need information on side effects of radiation to the larynx (throat)

My husband has just completed chemo and radiation for cancer of the larynx. He is in a clinical trial so he had radiation once a day for the first three and a half weeks, then radiation twice a day for the last two and a half weeks. He did well until the last week and a half. At that point his throat pretty much shut down. Can anyone help us with the following questions?
    1. His biggest problem right now is this 'bubbling' in his throat. He says it's like someone poured peroxide down his throat and it keeps bubbling up. He can't swallow this or it chokes him so he is continually spitting in a cup. What is this and how long will it last?
    2. I read on another post of someone who had the thick mucas. He has that too and cannot swallow this. How long will that last?
    3. He is getting one Ensure down a day and trying for two glasses of water. How long before he should be able to drink more?

My husband has a high tolerance for pain, but this has really brought him down. I appreciate any help you can give us.

Last edited by debra8940; 06-25-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User
    Re: need information on side effects of radiation to the larynx (throat)

My friend who had radiation & chemo for 7 weeks (throat cancer) felt pretty much the same. The last week was the worst. He almost quit when he had 2 treatments left. He said it was like swallowing glass. It took a few weeks for him to be able to drink water and about 2 months to be able to eat things like scrambled eggs & ice cream. Does your husband have a peg feeding tube?If not, he needs to try hard to drink more ensure. Nutrition is important for healing. He will also feel really poor if he gets dehydrated. My friend had the thick mucus for a good while. Try something like mucinex, its over the counter & helps thin the mucus. Also a humidifier in his bedroom might help with the dry mouth.Don't watch his improvment by days, watch it by weeks, this will help. It's a long road but he can do it! My friend is almost 1 year out, he sometimes has the thick mucus after a cup of coffee in the morning but nowhere near as bad. He can pretty much eat everything except bread (too dry). But when I think back, he was doing pretty good with his eating about 4 months after tx. He finished his tx in July 04 and I remember him being able to eat a good bit of thanksgiving dinner.Alot of mashed potatoes! So hang in there. Tell hubby to be patient. I know its hard when your living on Ensure. Things will improve though.I can't help you with the bubbling thing though. Maybe someone else on the boards can!God bless you both!Hope this helps!

Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
    catsblueeyes1
    (female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
    my husband experienced this and we got a home suction pump and it really helped,
    does he use any gargle? we found that he would suction and then try to drink his ensure, you need to keep him nourished and hydrated. My husband is post 3 years and doing wondeful, only has some discomfort with dry foods and drinks more water than he did before. Things will improve and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    If you need any ideas for side effects please ask. Having support through this hard time was what I needed and this forum helped a great deal.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
    Madly_In_Like
    (female)

Madly_In_Like HB User

Hi--my Dad was diagnosed with throat cancer almost exactly 1 year ago this month.

although he didn't loose his voice like they said he would--he did have the rawness in his throat for a while--
    the doctors said it would get worse before it got better..and it did--my dad was so bad he didn't eat for a while and lost a ton of weight.

about 1 month after the radiation was complete--everything started to get back to 'normal'-if you can call it that...

my mom told him that the doctor was going to put a feeding tube into him because he wouldn't eat--that scared him a little bit, lol --then the doctor told him that too-that scared him a lot-so he drank all the ensure he could stomach--in fact he probably drank that more than he ate--he drank at least 3 a day.

when he did eat food--it was mashed potatoes with gravy and bologna sandwiches.

I hope that your hubby is doing better soon!

Last edited by Madly_In_Like; 08-04-2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: (spelling, lol)

Closed Thread