It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

Why is there is so much cancer going on??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
goofypete
(female)

goofypete HB User
Why is there is so much cancer going on??

I don't get it. Is it the food? environment? or too many doctors, radioactive tests? what??? You hear about people getting dangerous staph infections while hospitalized. You hear about too much widespread use of antibiotics. E.coli, meningitis is on the rise. It's pretty scary living these days!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
john the bomb
(male)

john the bomb HB User
Post Re: Why is there is so much cancer going on??

In response to you:
1.Staph infections in the hospital are NASTY.My mom and uncle died from them.I got one also.My WBCs went up to...35000.(my uncle had 72000 and my mom got up to 50000 before she died)
2.Cancer may/not be more prevalent.At one time,it was invariably fatal.Now the 5 year survival rate is OVER 50%!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Jrobb
(male)

Jrobb HB User
Re: Why is there is so much cancer going on??

Yesterday's paper had a front page article. A study shows that middle aged Americans are much sicker than their counter parts in England. And we spend more than twice the amount on health care. There is a higher rate in America of diabetes, heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, lung disease and cancer. So the richest nation on earth falls far short of being the healthiest.

In another article it seems that we have a lot of atmospheric polution in our mountains which is where the water supply comes for many of us. Scientists checked snow levels for toxins across the western US and found at least 10 listed pesticides and several of them are banned in this country.

I used to sort of phoo phoo the health food and organic foods section. But not anymore. The less toxins that I bring in to my body the better. And I do have some control over it.

Jerome

Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Fizzickle
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofypete
I don't get it. Is it the food? environment? or too many doctors, radioactive tests? what??? You hear about people getting dangerous staph infections while hospitalized. You hear about too much widespread use of antibiotics. E.coli, meningitis is on the rise. It's pretty scary living these days!
That's an interesting question. One answer is that we live longer, and with increasing age, cancer and other diseases become more likely.

I'm 80. I enlisted in Naval Aviation in WW2 and passed flight physicals regularly. Stayed very healthy for quite a few years.

Now for the bad news. I had a severe heart attack in 1974 (Left descending artery complete blockage.) The heart attack came close to stopping my clock. And it was undoubtedly caused by smoking.

Then came pancreatitis caused by a blocked gallbladder in 1978. I suspect that smoking had something to do with that.

I've had throat cancer (smoking!) which was cured by radiation ("cured" is what the doctors say. It's been about 10 years since radiation). I presently am battling non-invasive bladder cancer (smoking! ). I had coronary artery bypass surgery (6 bypasses) in 1981, and regularly have the usual tests related to cardiac condition. Experienced atrial fibrillation from the earlier heart problems. That's controlled by sotalol.

I had c. difficile recently from taking a broad spectrum antibiotic for nasal infection. Had to take two courses of flagyl to get rid of that nasty disease.

Yet today, I'm an apparently healthy 6 feet, 190 pound individual with a straight spine whose hair hasn't fallen out or turned gray yet. I can still do about anything I want.

My cognitive abilities are not as sharp as they once were. I spent much of my working career developing engineering programs for digital computers, and still spend my spare time doing program development for my own entertainment.

You can tell from my description above that I have no doubt that many or most of my problems stemmed from smoking for about 25 years. Haven't smoked for many years, and would just as soon swallow poison as to smoke again. Probably most of my generation has had health problems stemming from smoking.

But all one has to do today is go to a shopping mall to see the probable cause of much of todays health problems. A lot of people, young and old, are simply massively obese. Smoking may not be a cause of concern to them, but their weight is going to tend them toward diabetes, heart trouble, and many of the other ills that man is heir to.

Didn't mean to go on so long. Your question made me think, and this is the best answer I can concoct from my point of view.

Regards,
Bill

Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
mr_panicky
Veteran
(male)

mr_panicky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzickle
But all one has to do today is go to a shopping mall to see the probable cause of much of todays health problems. A lot of people, young and old, are simply massively obese. Smoking may not be a cause of concern to them, but their weight is going to tend them toward diabetes, heart trouble, and many of the other ills that man is heir to.
I am 6'1" and 280lbs. I am obese. In late February I was 317lbs. I had a panic attack that I thought was a heart attack and it was my wake up call to do something about it. I ate fast food consistently and did no exercise. I agree that obesity is a major issue. I now have eliminated fast food, soft drinks, caffiene and now that my nuclear stress test came back normal I am ready to start exercising.

I have 4 "fatty" lipomas that I want to have properly checked out cause I have some minor stomach issues in 2 that are close together. But it may be nothing but I want peace of mind.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
Fizzickle
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Mr_panicky:

Congratulations! You're going in the right direction on weight. And congratulations on passing the nuclear stress test.

Thinking you're having a heart attack tends to get one's attention. I've been through that several times. Once it was the real thing.

Best Wishes.

Bill

Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
hillaryb
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I agree that lifestyle plays a big role. I got mine when I was a teenager and mine was environmental (we think). I got a soft-tissue, extremely rare tumor in my leg, and so far docs think these types of things are caused from chemical exposure. I lived 4 years on a military base that was once a dumping ground for chemicals. They said it was fine and perfectly safe, but many people who lived there had health issues-lots of miscarriages, things like that. When it rained they would often close down the soccer field due to what came up out of the ground.

I also think that our diets contribute in alot of ways. Lots of preservatives and additives in our food these days.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Merimac
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

I believe that modern medicine has produced miracles in health care and also has produced a lot of money by inventing conditions and medications to go with the conditions. Social anxiety disorder is my top pet peeve. But, I also believe that the very instruments that cause care and healing also point out cancers that most people never knew they had and would never have died from had they allowed the body to heal them on the body's time schedule. The diet is also a hinderance. The more nutritious our eating habits become, the more well - fed our cancers which are out of control cells, are able to multiply. IF you think about it, we all know some one or of some one who went through a cancer experience, loss tons of weight, and became healed from the cancer. It is a result of starving the cancer cells for nutrition, or oxygen or all of the above, together. Call it chemo if you like.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #9
daddygirl66
(female)

daddygirl66 HB User

I got a cellulitis infection from hospital's neglience with a Iv, that has led to Thrombophlebetis, and I believe a undiag DVT, but one problem I find with this sort of thing is Thrombophlebetis and sort, is much misunderstood in the medical field, which leads to other complications. I have been fighting this since the end of march, and have been to the ER 5 times, and get the rolling eye, your a Hypochondriac attitude, a prescription and pat on back and sent out the door... I know my body, when something is wrong, and don't like being treated as though its all in my head... ITs sickening to say the least. And God help you if you live in the USA and do not have health insurance, Most when Diag with cellulitis is hospitalized, thats if you have insurance, but if you don't, then your SOL, and left to fend for yourself.... But let a "foreigner" come to the USA and the doors open, and all is given on a silver platter the health care needed... Maybe I need to learn to speak another language to get somewhere in this country!!!

Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
hillaryb
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

My cancer grew VERY fast and there was no way I could not notice the huge thing forming in my leg. And I weighed all of 95 lbs at the time (at 5'9) so I do believe in my case it probably would have continued to grow and spread. With my type, if it isn't removed it tends to enter the lymphatic system and spreads, often to the brain. But I see what you are saying with the "invention" of illnesses and treatment. We all know how the drug companies and the drug reps are. They are salesmen. No more, no less. At least in more cases than not.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
weeweejujubee
(female)

weeweejujubee HB User

There are more than 10 million people alive today in the United States who have had some type of cancer. Some of these people have been cured; others still have the disease.

Years ago, most people who had cancer did not live very long. That is not the case any more. Every year more and more people survive cancer. This is especially true of children with cancer because of new treatments.

The survival rate is different for people with different types of cancers. Some types of cancer grow very slowly. Some respond to treatment very well, while others grow and spread faster and are harder to treat. If you know someone who has cancer, keep in mind that what happens to them could be very different from what happens to someone else with another type of cancer.

Closed Thread