It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• blood tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
    gel68
    (female)

gel68 HB User
    blood tests

does any1 now whether cancer would show up in blood tests even if the blood test wasn't taken for that reason??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
    tweety2unes
    (female)

tweety2unes HB User
    Re: blood tests

That's a great question, I'd love to know myself!
    thanks ahead!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
    canukmom
    (female)

canukmom HB User

Hi gals, I think it might depend on what the doc put on the bloodwork requisition to test for. If he/she asked for a CBC (complete blood count), I believe that would give some indication if there was something wrong, and then maybe a doctor would request more detailed bloodwork. I just recently had a bunch of bloodwork done, and apparently the results ruled out leukemia & lymphoma. I think that was determined by the numbers on the CBC. Hope that helps.........!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
    grace106
    (female)

grace106 HB User

I am in the middle of chemo and they order cbc and cea and a chemical profile between chemo hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

The answer to your question, Gel, is a definite "maybe."

The first thing to understand about cancer is that it is NOT one illness but, rather, many types of illnesses. Bladder cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, uterine cancer, lung cancer, leukemia, lymphoma...each one of these is a distinct and separate illness, and they bear absolutely no relation to each other except that they are basically mutations of normal cells. Even within a so-called "specific" type of cancer, such as breast cancer, there are varieties that are quite different from each other. This is why it's been impossible to develop one test that will "screen for cancer."

Certain types of cancer might show up as something abnormal on a cbc...such as an extremely low or extremely high white or red blood cell count. This would not necessarily mean cancer, but it would be an indication that something's wrong and further testing is needed.

For certain cancers, there are "marker" tests, such as the Ca125 for breast/ovarian cancer. There's a marker test for prostate cancer, too. The CA125 is not routinely done, as it usually won't get elevated until there's a significant enough mass of cancerous cells and by that time you'll either have an observable lump or other symptoms. The CA125 is usually used as an adjunct to other tests (such as mammograms, CT scans) that might be done if you suspect a problem, or it might be used as an indication as to whether chemotherapy is working.

The prostate cancer marker test, on the other hand, is routinely done on men over a certain age, but it also gives a lot of false positives. If the prostate is enlarged it may elevate the marker; if there's a prostate infection (which is not uncommon), it may be elevated.

As for other types of cancers, most of them do not show up in the routine blood tests that we have done on a yearly physical.

Grace,
    The reason they order all those tests when you're on chemo is to make sure that the chemo isn't killing off too many normal cells. If your red or white cell counts go too low, they have to delay chemo treatments to allow your body to recover a bit. This is quite common...you might have two chemo treatments a week apart, then have low red/white cell counts and not get your third treatment for two weeks instead of in one week. They do also order marker tests when you're going through treatment so they can tell if the treatment is working. Hope you're doing okay and tolerating the treatment without too many side effects.

Ruth
    5-year survivor of Cancer of Unknown Primary
    Currently battling Bladder Cancer (not related to first cancer)

Old 05-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
    shakorox
    (male)

shakorox HB User

They are looking for new "markers" all the time. Cancer cells secrete certian protiens that can only be associated with those cancer cells. Each cancer does not yet have it's biomarker identified. However, there are clinical trials which recruit patients with certian cancers to donate thier blood and put the analysis into a database. When they collect enough data they will compare the different samples and identify new biomarkers using healthy persons as the control group.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
    spyrogirlkim
    (female)

spyrogirlkim HB User

we have neurofibromatosis and when our tumors the only way to tell is a biopsy.I know this first hand.Then they have to add a dye if the doc is smart enough to know that or withour adding that dye the docs would never know

Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
    spyrogirlkim
    (female)

spyrogirlkim HB User

I just found out with Nf they can't find cancer with just a blood test.When the tumors have cancer in them they are inclosed so the only way to find out if they turn is a biopsy.

Closed Thread