It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

30lb weight loss in 2 months!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
peipaws
(female)

peipaws HB User
30lb weight loss in 2 months!!!

My husband is 42. Wasn't over weight so this is a DRAMATIC weight loss. He feels hungry but after 2 bites starts feeling sick and has to stop eating so he doesn't get sick. He's having the constipation/diarrhea also. I KNOW these are "signs" of cancer. My mom had them 20 yrs ago and at 38yrs old lost her battle.

He has a Dr appt Monday and I'm leaving work early to go with him. What should I have them check? Blood work? Any information or suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you,
Vicky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
momoside
(female)

momoside HB User
Re: 30lb weight loss in 2 months!!!

hi

your doctor will probably suggest a gastro work-up- colonoscopy, occult blood test, regualr blood work-up. The weight loss is concerning but it could be something other than cancer. Maybe an ulcer? When was the last time your husband went for a check up?

regards
Haley

Old 06-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
shnswms
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

Your husband is at the age that he needs to get a colonoscopy, especially with the symptoms. How long has he had these symptoms? The weight loss and fullness right after eating is concerning. I would also recommend an an abdominal ultrasound, maybe an endoscopy or upper gi series. He also needs a full blood workup. His physician should take care of him, if not insist on some of these tests. Colonoscopies should begin at 40. His stomach could also not be working properly due to things like gastroparesis. Cancer is a worst case scenario. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
spiritone

spiritone HB User

Good luck to you and your husband. If it is cancer, you should check out the Budwig protocol. It is VERY helpful even in advanced cases.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
peipaws
(female)

peipaws HB User

Thank's for all your replies so quickly.

My husband has alway been healthy. He just had a physical within the last 6 mths. At the time I set it up he was having urination changes. He could urinate fine but couldn't control the flow. He was unable to "speed" up the process. Sorry if TMI. I thought at that time they would do a prostate check given the fact he was 40. They didn't. Said it was normal changes in a male and not to worry. He's not one to go to the dr but I make the appt's for him and make him go when I feel he should. This time he told me to call which also tells me he is concerned also.

His symptoms have only been for a few months. I also forgot to list that he is fatigued. He'll take 3-4 hr naps. These are only on his days off but its everyday he does have off. Weekends, rain days....he works construction.

I will be going with him to the dr to make sure ALL of this is mentioned to the dr and that NONE are blown off. I will be requesting the blood work along with a colonoscopy and gastroscopy. I dont expect all the answers when we leave but DETERMINED to have the process started to get them.

Again, Thank You!
Vicky

Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
roblin

roblin HB User

I experienced a problem with the taste of food, namely as tho' it all came out of a septic tank. I learned that "Ora Gel", applied to the taste buds at the rear sides at the back of the tounge made it posssible to eat, and the food tasted as it should. In the event "Ora GEl' doesn't work, then a prescription solution, "BMX", may be the solution. It is a "swish - spit solution.
Good luck.

Last edited by roblin; 06-12-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
peipaws
(female)

peipaws HB User

Thank you everyone who replied. We went to his appt and the dr was completely focused on the fact he smoked. When we...I ...finally started explaining he works construction so he gains about 20-25 lbs in the winter and takes it off thru the summer that all that weight along with the 30lbs is gone and summer just started. He did blood work and it came back fine. I asked what his psa was and they didn't do that test but said it was .4 in Sept. They scheduled him for a EGD which he will have done Wed. I asked about a colonoscopy and the dr said that was for people over 50. He's lost a additional 4lbs since so I'm hoping that the test Wed's will give us answers.

Thanks Again,
Vicky

Old 06-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
shnswms
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

Colonoscopies are not for people over 50. It starts at 40 and thats for people with no family history. I think an abdominal ultrasound would be the next reasonable test to pursue, along with the colonoscopy. If you feel he needs to be further investigated, insist on it! Doctors are quick to dismiss problems for simple things. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
peipaws
(female)

peipaws HB User

I just wanted to let everyone know that my husband's EGD went well. They did do a biopsy for Barrett's but the dr who performed the test said nothing he saw could explain the weight loss/nausea. This dr did order a abdominal/pelvic CT scan which was performed before we even left the building. He also scheduled my husband for a colonoscopy for next Wed. All these test were ordered before I even spoke with him and while my husband was still sleeping. This dr seems to be very concerned also. My husband doesn't look "healthy" and is very skinny. He is to weigh every day and write it down. We should be getting a call tomorrow with the CT scan results.

Vicky

Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Peipaws, I have been reading your story, And was hoping you could lets us know how your husband is doing. I am sending you both (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) take care ....Mandy

Old 07-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
Mari526
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: 30lb weight loss in 2 months!!!

I think it's important for you to talk with a registered dietician who can develop a diet plan for your husband that is calorie and nutrient dense. It's fine to weigh him but it's more important to try and have him put on weight or at least maintain until you can find out what's wrong. Please ask the doctor for a referral to a RD.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
sivad
(female)

sivad HB User

Hi, I am so sorry you and your DH are going through all of this.
I am sure they checked his thyroid for function. If not, maybe they should. I lost 25 lbs in two months just before I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease.

Please keep us informed. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
peipaws
(female)

peipaws HB User

Thank you everyone for you thoughts. None of the test done so far....EGD, colonoscopy, abdominal/pelvic ct scan, chest ct scan and blood work have not found a cause. As of now, nothing is different. Still dont have a clue as to what is causing this. Still cant eat and dropping weight. I took him to a internal medicine dr Friday because he was NOT keeping food down. Could of been a result of the colonoscopy but it still scared me. He's doing a swallow test this friday. I dont believe that is the cause. He swallows fine but when he gets nauseated and trys to force himself to eat he gags and food wont go down. At least this dr is working at finding a cause. He had his blood work results and still took 4 big tubes of blood to check. I believe this dr is taking it serious to the point he is to wear the same clothes to his appt's to monitor his weight closely. Normal weight is 180-185. Weighed 141 with his oversized clothes on Friday.

Vicky

Old 07-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi peipaws let us know how things go on friday, It is a worry when our loved ones are not well. My husband and kids are worried about me as I have been feeling ill for about 6 months now, lots of different things wrong stomach pain, nausea, real bad rib pain on both sides, feeling very weak, very bad headaches, I lost my dear mum in feb of this year and the doctors put all my stymtoms down to (STRESS) the pains started before my mum died, also I had missed peroids, It only now that things are starting to show up I had blood test that come back with a high prolactin normal is about 25 mine was over a (1000) this could be a tumor on the brain I am waiting too have a MRI scan it will be in about 6 too 8 weeks the NHS in the U.K is a little slow!!
anyway sorry about going on about me, I realy do hope your husband and you start too get to the bottom of this and start to go forward.
take care ...Mandy

Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
shnswms
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

I'm not really sure what to say. He has had a very comprehensive workup that should have showed something. It seems to be a digestive problem. It could be acid reflux, gastritis, or something of that nature. He should get an upper gi series with small bowel. That will track the flow of barium through his digestive system to see where it malfunctions. It is very easy to drop a large amount of weight if you are not eating. Stress can also cause this. Has he been really nervous about his health? Endoscopy is another test you could pursue. I would definately get the Upper GI series with small bowel followthrough. Someone mentioned the thyroid, which is another possibility. Good luck.

Closed Thread