It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

pre cancerous

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
spyrogirlkim
(female)

spyrogirlkim HB User
pre cancerous

I want to know just what this means and how do they know something is pre.Pre means before so why scare someone if it isnt cancer just before cancer.Gee that means everyone who dont have cancer is pre right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
JACKIANN
(female)

JACKIANN HB User
Re: pre cancerous

Yeah I ask the same Question I don't understand . I think they want you to come back & forth to the doctor so much just to give stress & down size your pocket. The test I have to have done every six month, it's not fun it feels like very hard pinching in side of me.. sorry ! if I made things worse for you by saying this..

Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
SamQKitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: pre cancerous

"pre-cancerous" means that there are some changes to the tissue that, while not yet considered cancerous, could easily turn cancerous and bears watching. For example...I have a condition called Barrett's Esophagus, which is caused by long-term GERD. The tissue lining my esophagus has changed so that it has become more similar to stomach lining tissue than to esopageal tissue. Barrett's is a "pre-cancerous" condition, which means it has to be watched very closely so that if it SHOULD turn cancerous, it can be operated on before it has spread beyond the esophagus.

On the other hand, pre-cancerous tissue does not ALWAYS turn cancerous. It is, however, a major red flag and should be carefully watched.

And, having a test once every six months or so is much, much cheaper and less invasive than being treated for advanced cancer, not to mention the survival rate is waaaay better the sooner it's caught!

Ruth

Ruth

Closed Thread