It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• Enlarged Lymph Node In Neck Below Ear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
    Unhappy Enlarged Lymph Node In Neck Below Ear

I just noticed an enlarged lymph node below my right ear. I noticed it because it was painful. Went to my general doctor who did a pretty thorough exam, prodded other lymph nodes and noticed one under my other ear was also enlarged, but this one didn't hurt. She asked if I had a cat and I said I did and she said sometimes cats can scratch a person and cause "Cat Scratch Fever" which causes enlarged lymph nodes. Wouldn't that be nice if that's all it is? I don't remember my cat scratching me is the only thing!

She just prescribed a round of antibiotics (Keflex) for one week and said to come back in two weeks for a follow up if it doesn't go away.

Of course, I am reading this board and freaking myself out over this and even the pain seems worse when I think about it! What are the odds that this is a type of lymphoma or is this thing going to disappear with a week of antibiotics? I know there is no magic answer, but I thought I'd share my concern with all the great, sympathetic people out there.

Anybody have an enlarged lymph node under the ear area that was treated with antibiotics and then disappeared and you were fine afterward?

Thank you for any input you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
    jrebecc
    (female)

jrebecc HB User
    Re: Enlarged Lymph Node In Neck Below Ear

Try not to worry. I had an enlarged node under my jaw about a year and a half ago. It got enlarged when I had a virus and never went down. I had a biopsy and eventually had it removed. This whole time the docs kept telling me it looked like lymphoma, but it wasn't. It was just hyperplasia, totally benign. They do not know why it happened, but they scared the crap out of me for nothing! So try not to worry and do not read too much on the internet! I know I did and it only made me feel worse!
    Good luck to you!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
    Re: Enlarged Lymph Node In Neck Below Ear

Thank you, jrebecc. I guess that's human nature to think the worst. I am already not planning on stocking up on stuff...just in case. That's not being too positive, is it? Talk about being worried.

So, the doctors kept telling you they "thought" it was lymphoma? Oh, my gosh. That would totally freak me out!

I'll see how the next week plays out after the antibiotics are finished.

Closed Thread