It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

cancer friend, please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
balletstar06
(female)

balletstar06 HB User
Exclamation cancer friend, please help

hey everyone. My best friend back in April was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma and is now terminal. I spoke to her mom about it, and they dont expect her to pull through it all much longer. I want to do so many things with her since most of what she does all day is lay in bed or stay in the house. The problem is that she has trouble walking and isnt able to stay out very long since she tires easily. Does anyone have any ideas of places I could take her or things I could do with her that wouldnt require so much energy and she would still have fun at the same time? She is a teenager, 15 to be exact. Any suggestions are welcome, please. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Mercyrp
(female)

Mercyrp HB User
Re: cancer friend, please help

I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm glad you want to make sure she has a good time, what about the movies? She doesn't need much walking and maybe you guys can rent or buy a wheelchair and start going to museums. Some facilities offer wheelchairs for rent on the spot. I will pray for all of you.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
SamQKitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: cancer friend, please help

It may be that she doesn't have enough energy to go out, but you could certainly bring some things in to her. You can rent movies (if she doesn't have a vcr or dvd, maybe you could bring one over). She might want to see other friends from school...perhaps you could get a few of her friends together and have a small party at her house (bring your own refreshments so her folks won't have extra work). If she still has any appetite, ask her if there's a food from a favorite local hangout that she'd like, and ask the restaurant to pack it up to go and bring it over. Find out who her favorite singers/groups are, and get her some CD's.

And sure...if she has enough energy, take her to a museum or the movies. Call ahead to any place you might want to take her and ask about wheelchairs. But do keep in mind that it takes a lot of energy to get up, get into a car, stay awake for the drive to wherever, get into the place, and stay involved, and she just may not have the energy to do all that.

Sometimes being there, holding someone's hand, talking, or even not talking but just being there is the best gift you can give. And you are a real sweetheart for wanting to do whatever you can for your friend.

Ruth

Closed Thread