It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

My father was just diagnosed with terminal cancer... RCC Renal Cell Carcinoma

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
JennColorado
(female)

JennColorado HB User
Re: Please Read/KIDNEY CANCER

My father was just diagnosed with terminal cancer... RCC Renal Cell Carcinoma... They did surgery and removed a 10 pound tumor with kidney... now they are saying there is no more options except for some pill that is available. I am looking for any advice with this issue. I am about to turn 30 and just got engaged and can't imagine life without him.... I also moved away from home 5 years ago, and am wondering if I should relocate again to be there for my family....
Any words of advice from you all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
mabegb
(female)

mabegb HB User

jenn, he might really want to get a second opinion. there could be more available to him. he definitely needs love and support right now. sounds like the two of you are close. as far as moving home. you will know what is right to do. it may be easier for you. i will keep you and your dad in my prayers. melissa

Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
JennColorado
(female)

JennColorado HB User

Thanks for your prayers....

I think right now my head is full of emotions... and I will figure out the best thing to do once I get ahold of the situation....

I appreciate your prayers!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
wholmes11
(male)

wholmes11 HB User

I am very sorry to hear of the adverse reaction your husband has had with Nexavar. I also have stage 4 renal cell casrcinoma. I have had my left kidney removed as well as a large tumor. The cancer has spread to my lungs. I have to decide if I want to take Nexavar or Sutent to entend my life. So far, I am leaning toward Sutent or nothing at all. Your postings are helping to guide me thru the decsision process. I wish you and your husband the best.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
brighterday
(female)

brighterday HB User

Jenn I am so sorry for you and your father. Please get a SECOND opinion!!
It is incredible how different two Doctors can be with the course of treatment they take. We have found that surgery has been the best fight, but(this is for Wholmes11 too) the pill Nexavar was given to my husband at the highest dose of 4 pills daily. We backed off for 2 weeks to get it out of his system and now he started off with one pill and then a pill and one half. He is doing so much better! His body is adjusting to the dose in steps instead of the trauma of the highest dose of 4 pills at the begining. They say that when you have this rash that it proves it is working it was just to much at one time for my husband.
Jenn and Wholmes11 they say that Nexavar and Stutent is good at slowing this down. We will continue to believe and pray for each of you.
Wholmes11, I hope when you start, start slow, it still works.The key word here is WORKS. That sounds wonderful to me! Please keep in touch for you will be in my prayers.
Jenn congratulations on your engagement! I know you have some difficult things to think about. I pray for you to have peace as you work out your emotions.
P.S. My momma just got out of the hospital. They found colon cancer. She is doing good and is going to have chemo soon when she gets stronger. Please keep her in your prayers as well.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
HettK
(male)

HettK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennColorado
My father was just diagnosed with terminal cancer... RCC Renal Cell Carcinoma... They did surgery and removed a 10 pound tumor with kidney... now they are saying there is no more options except for some pill that is available. I am looking for any advice with this issue. I am about to turn 30 and just got engaged and can't imagine life without him.... I also moved away from home 5 years ago, and am wondering if I should relocate again to be there for my family....
Any words of advice from you all would be greatly appreciated!!!
Their are always options even though they may not even be considered by your doctor. Im telling you this for your benefit but diet and nutrition plays a HUGE role in the body's ability to heal itself, not just from cancer but nearly everything. God's pharmaceuticals are infinitamelly more powerful than man can conjure up! I'll write up a couple suggestions that you could implement that could be of benefit to your situation when I can.

Suggestions Advice for Anti-Cancer Nutrition
------------------------------------------
The daily use of a WHOLE-Foods vitamin/mineral supplement that derives its source of essential nutrients thru whole foods and not synthetic man made minerals
The use of flaxseed oil mixed mixed with a high quality whey protein (which has anti-cancer effects all its own - therapuetic doses ranged in the research from 40-80+ grams daily) mixed via a blender with a wide variety of berries (blueberries, red raspberries, blackberries are all terrific anti-cancer fighting fruits and this mix is absolutely SCRUMDIDDILYUMPTIOUS!)
A diet based on living foods high in but not limitied to : Garlic, Berries (Blueberries, Cherries, Red Raspberries (especially red raspberries), Onions, Crucerifous Vegetables like Cauliflower, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Grapes, Carrots, Beets, Pomegranate Juice, Celery (great for lowering BP), flaxseed ([Benefits - Vitamins, Minerals, Fiber, Lignans, and Essential Fatty] acids grounded via a coffee grinder and immediately eaten on salads, oatmeal, use your imagination ^^, essential fatty acids oxidize/spoil easily from exposure to light air and heat and the main difference between flaxseed and the oil is its a more concentrated source and plays a central role via research done by Joanna Budwig who had a very successful track record of healing cancer patients), Carrots, Beets, Spirulina (a sea based algea with powerful detoxifying/immunestimulating properties along with drinking plenty of Filtered Pure Water (80+ oz's a day minimum) along with a variety of superfoods/nutrients/juices like goji berries, acai powder, organic cacoa powder, fucoidan

And spice things up! A lot of spices have beneficial cancer fighting efffects which include spices such as cayenne pepper, tumeric, curry, rosemary, and ginger.
The key imporantance is diet comprised of "living" foods that will nourish your body and give it plenty of powerful cancer fighting nutrition and nutrition to boost your immunity

Its not all about what you do but what you dont do as well as here are some considerations to avoid
-----------------------------------
1. Total Avoidance of Sugar (Sugar feeds cancer) (Excludes naturally occuring starches/starches from veggies )
2. Avoidance of all Trans Fatty acids (Partially Hydrogenated Oils)
3. Avoidance of Artificial Sweeteners ( Aspartame, Splenda, Ace K+/Potassium, Saccharin)
4. Avoidance of Proccessed Lunch meats due to Sodium Nitrites (which is used to induce cancer in lab rats)
5. Avoidance of Acromyladies (typically found in potato chips) - Cancer causing agent
6. Avoidance of highly refined breads which includes most breads typically found in the grocery store

Typical rule of thumb, if a food can spoil/rot easily its good for you. If you can come back 5 years later and the foods still good as the day you walked in, its PROBABLY not meant to be eaten.

If you wish I can provide some PubMed references to some of the above mentioned foods, superfoods so you can look at the research/science done on them for yourself.
As a matter of fact I will add some PubMed refrences in later to some of the above mentioned foods and their therapuetic properties for your benefit

Last edited by HettK; 11-09-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
wholmes11
(male)

wholmes11 HB User
Smile Re: Please Read/KIDNEY CANCER

Thanks for your support Brighterday and Hettk. JennColorado is my daughter and I love her and appreciate all that she is doing. I will hopefully be starting Sutent or Nexavar in late January. I have scheduled some family trips to relax and heal from the sugery. I haven't got my appetite back yet but the new thinner me is looking forward to beginning my treatments. The information you are posting on this web site is very encouraging. I will keep you posted as things progress.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
brighterday
(female)

brighterday HB User

Yes I am truly open to natural cures that was and is given from God. My husband has not shown interest in the herbs yet and it is his decision, but I would love the suggestions.
Wholmes I am sure that you are proud of Jenn. She is going through alot being your love one and caretaker because she feels absolutely helpless right now. It is a panic feeling when you do not know how to help your love one.
Sounds like you are making great decisions and being wise. I thank you for saying that our postings help. I trully hope so because that is what the world is all about is helping each other.
I told my husband about you and he said to please tell you that the Nexavar reacts differ to people and you may not have any trouble at all.That would be great! He says not to give up and to keep your positive attitude going. He trully believes in attitude and I do to after watching him. We will continue to pray for you and Jenn. You will do great!

Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
JennColorado
(female)

JennColorado HB User

Brighterday, thanks so much for your kind words, understanding and most importantly your prayers.... I find this site very valueable for advice and also the real scoop. Like my dad said he will be starting treatment in January and I am very hopeful we will have great results....
Please continue to keep us posted on your husband. I will keep you both in my prayers...also your mom....
Here are some encouraging quotes we have had sent by a few people....

Thought for the Day
"In all the universe, in all time, you are the only you.
Never have molecules come together exactly like you,
never again will your footsteps be repeated upon this earth.
Your strength is the strength someone can count on,
your life is the life that can make a difference."

"Today you are You,
that is truer than true.
There is no one alive
who is Youer than You."

Dr. Seuss, 1904-1991
American Author and Cartoonist

Another one...
If God brings you to it – He will bring you through it.

Again, thanks for the support.... And thank you, HettK!!!

I LOVE YOU DAD!!!

Last edited by JennColorado; 11-09-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
brighterday
(female)

brighterday HB User
Re: My father was just diagnosed with terminal cancer... RCC Renal Cell Carcinoma

Jenn How are you and your father doing/ You have been on my mind and in my prayers. I just wanted to check on you two.I love the poem!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
cher1052
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

Jenn-as I sat scrolling through the some of the threads-and I read the poem-it made my day! Hope all is going good for you and your father. You're in my thouhgts and prayers. cheri

Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
JennColorado
(female)

JennColorado HB User
Re: My father was just diagnosed with terminal cancer... RCC Renal Cell Carcinoma

Brighterday,

I am glad to hear from you again, while I was in Mexico with my dad he asked if I had heard from you lately. We made a family trip down to his house in Mexico for Thanksgiving, and I am now getting ready to drive to his home in Utah for Christmas. He actually looked and started to feel better while we were there. He is still there and is flying home on the 19th, so I haven't had much communication with him. I did get a phone call on my birthday and am planning on spending time with him for Christmas. He also has some doctor appointments during that time, so we are anxious to find out what the new test results will show. He is going to take another family trip with my brother and his family mid January, then back and he will begin the medication... still trying to decide which to take, the Nexavar or Sutent... but the positvie thing is he is going to try the meds, there for awhile after doing a lot of research, he was unsure if he would.
As for me, I still have my good days, and boy when the bad ones hit they hit hard, but now I understand my emotions are very normal. I still haven't figured out why I cry sometimes... but for the most part I am just preparing myself for the future, praying and hoping for the best.
I am glad you and cher1052 liked the poem.
How are you and your husband doing? Also, how is your mom? Please keep me posted. And again, thanks for being here. We do appreciate these postings...
Take care..

Jenn

Last edited by JennColorado; 12-18-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #13
dltabrz
(female)

dltabrz HB User
Talking Re: Please Read/KIDNEY CANCER

I, too, have Stage 4 RCC. I was diagnosed when I was 59 (4 years ago). By the time it was discovered it was necessary for the docs at NIH to remove all of my L kidney and about half of my right kidney. I can feel my self on the decline and am getting prepared for dyalysis by having a fistula surgically implanted in my arm. The kidney cancer has spead pretty much thruout my body: spleen, liver, lungs, breast, pancreas and spine. My creatinine is at about 4, and my remaining kidney is functioning at about 20% - 30%, The kidney woes are a result of having inherited a disease from my mom, Von Hipple Lindau Syndrome. I've had too many surgerys to count and am in a bad way. I'm hoping my appt with my nephrologist on Tuesday will bring me some good news,

I wish you all the best of luck and may God be holding your hand all the way

Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
JennColorado
(female)

JennColorado HB User

Dltabrz,

I am very sorry to hear that you are battling this also. If you would let me know what medications if any you were treated with and how they affected you, I would greatly appreciate that. Seems that is our next step with my father. I was shocked to hear 4 years ago you were diagnosed with stage 4, we did not expect it to go on that long from talking to doctors and reading up on this disease. Any advice or sharing of what to do or expect next would be very helpful. Seems I get better answers on this board than any where else I have looked, however, you are the first with the same stage of RCC, my dad has only had the one kidney removed thus far.

I also will be praying for you, and hope you do get some good news on Tuesday.

I know I will never understand how it feels to be you or my father the one actually going through this, but I do want you to know my thoughts any prayers are with you!

JennColorado

Last edited by JennColorado; 01-01-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
brighterday
(female)

brighterday HB User

My husband has been stage 4 Rcc for a long time. We just went to his doctor to check to see if the gamma laser surgery to his brain lesions were working. The doctor did all kind of neurological test to try to trip him up to make sure he was not trying to fake being alright. They made him walk different ways and answer questions. To the doctors amazment he did wonderful. He was suppose to have some imbalalnce and memory problems but he did not. The doctors were puzzled but we were not. It is prayer and his positive atiitude. This February 2007 he will have fought it for 5 years and is still going. After 7 sugeries, radiation and all, I am proud of him. He is my inspiration!

Closed Thread