It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• Squamous Cell Carcinoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
    JDavidson624
    (male)

JDavidson624 HB User
    Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Hey all! I have a friend who has Squamous Cell Caricoma in her mouth. I believe the disease it is in its later stages. Does anyone know what may have caused this to begin with? Also, what would be the most effective treatment for this particular cancer? Thank you.

Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Smoking can cause oral cancers, as can chewing tobacco. There are probably other possible causes, but I don't know what they are.

Depending on the stage, chemotherapy, specifically taxol and carboplatin, works quite well for squamous cell cancers. There may be other chemotherapies that work, too, as well as surgery, radiation, etc.

Ruth

Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
    linda71
    (female)

linda71 HB User

I had squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth 17 years ago. It was caused from smoking and sun exposure. Mine was on the lip but went down towards my chin also. I had what was called a flap. They removed it by cutting a v shape on my right lip going downward. They took some healthy tissue from my upper lip and gave some to the bottom lip. They then sewed the mouth shut for over two weeks. I believe they do that to establish blood flow again. It was only sewed 3/4 of the way. I had enough room to insert a straw. I was fortunate. Originally they didn't think it was curable, but I got lucky (if you can call it that). They then did several plastic surgeries on my mouth. I have had people tell me they never would have known if I hadn't brought it up. Now that I am older it is more noticiable. My mouth droops downward. I didn't have to have chemo or radiation.

Last year I had a squamous cell removed on the other side of my lip but wasn't nearly as drastic and didn't require plastic surgery.

If you have any questions just ask away.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
    girlcat36
    (female)

girlcat36 HB User

I had squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil. It was caused by the HPV virus. I do not smoke or drink.

Closed Thread