It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• does cancer come up in blood tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
    pollyg24
    (female)

pollyg24 HB User
    does cancer come up in blood tests

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
    girlcat36
    (female)

girlcat36 HB User
    Re: does cancer come up in blood tests

No, mine did not.(Lots of bloodwork over 3 years) Wouldn't it be nice if there was just a blood test that could say definatively that cancer was present.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
    n9ne
    (male)

n9ne HB User

the DR-70 blood test is suppose to be able to pick up 13 types of cancer

[url]http://www.cancure.org/tests_to_detect_cancer.htm[/url]

Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
    goodone
    (male)

goodone HB User

Which cancer you refer to? Most likely, no. Confimation analysis of the suspected body part is required.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pollyg24 View Post
    There is no one blood test that can determine if cancer is present, largely because there are so many different types of cancer.

There are, however, some specific tests that can look for things called "markers", such as the CA 125 which becomes elevated in breast and ovarian cancer. But even these aren't 100% accurate. I've known people with advanced breast cancer whose markers were normal.

Sometimes a routine blood chemistry profile can highlight that there may be a problem somewhere...for example, if creatinine was elevated, it might mean a kidney problem...then further tests would be done to determine exactly what the problem is, and sometimes that can lead to a diagnosis of cancer, but it can just as often lead to another diagnosis entirely.

Did you have a specific reason for asking? The type of symptoms a person has will usually guide a doctor to do the appropriate tests.

Ruth

Old 01-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Great just when i thought i could scratch cancer off my list of things i think i have after having bloodwork done a while back i can add it back again few years back i thought i had leg cancer or something, it was like my skin was tearing right by my thighs and below my buttocks. Doctor didn't know what they were and told me to get blood work done. got that done and everything came back fine. I told him that i thought they were stretch marks, and he didn't think so cause i was not overweight, i even tried telling him i gained 30 pounds real fast, but he still didn't think so. They look 100% like stretch marks, but feel deep, at first i thought they were a vein problem, but doc said everything came back fine on bloodwork, plus they seem like a weird place to get them, if it was vein problem would that have shown up on bloodwork? could it be from sitting for hours on end or am i overreacting and they are stretchmarks? I love being a hypochondriac!

Well now my left leg has been bothering me for about 3 weeks. A pain that can't be described as a sore muscle. Seems to be behind the kneecap, but sometimes it travels to the calf area, but it can't be localized! i do't know whats hurting, but it gets worse at night, and sometimes when i stretch my leg a certain way. I work out alot, but like i said it doesn't feel like a sore muscle. Now me being insane i keep feeling around my leg and it feels bumpier right on the bottom of my thigh, yet i think thats a muscle, but it's not as big as the one on my right leg! LOL i'm freaking out. Sometimes it comes and goes, but i felt it bad when waking up today. Now what also sucks is i couldn't even get it checked out right now if i wanted, cause my doctor doesn't take my health insurance anymore, so i have to call my healthcare provider , pick a new doctor, then have them mail me a new insurance card, which will take a few weeks! So now what? just wait this out? the pain isn't bad, just feels weird and i need piece of mind. Right now thinking about it and moving my leg around it feels like the underside , right above my knee. Now years ago i tore my meniscus in that knee, but opted not to have the surgery. Could this actually be the start of arthritis from not getting it fixed, and the wear and tear from working out on it? i'm only 26 years old though!

Closed Thread