It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• Lump on leg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
    pammyjane55
    (female)

pammyjane55 HB User
    Lump on leg

About 4 or 5 weeks ago I noticed a lump on my thigh muscle, approx 4 inches above my knee and towards the inside of the leg. It wasn't painful but having become conscious of it I have felt it everyday. I don't think it has grown particularly and feels quite deep in my leg. Today however it is a little sore and more prominent but still quite deep under the skin. There is no external mark, redness or discolouration. Have you any suggestions as to what it may be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
    JCoggin
    (male)

JCoggin HB User
    Re: Lump on leg

Please get this checked asap. A friend had a similar experience and it turned out to be a liposarcoma. Stay in touch.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

PammyJane

I would hope it is just a fatty tumor. Greater probability that it is that than any thing else.

However, I so agree with JCoggin's post... get it checked out by a surgeon ASAP. I had the same thing and unfortunately, it turned out to be a sarcoma like JCoggin's friend.

When I saw the surgeon, he took a biopsy right in the office and then sent me to a radiologist fo a CT scan.

Fatty tumors are much more common than sarcomas, but it is an easy procedure to have it checked for your mind's peace.

All best wishes.
    reach

Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
    pammyjane55
    (female)

pammyjane55 HB User

Thank you for responding to my post. I did go and have the lump checked out and the Doctor said that it was a fatty deposit and was not a cause for concern but that I should keep my eye on it and if it grew very quickly and became painful to go straight back. I'm glad to say that it has not changed in any way since. Thanks again for your advice.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello There

Just so glad it was checked and all is well. Certainly keep an eye on it, but rest easy now that it has been checked.

Good news!
    reach

Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
    jonphotog
    Inactive
    (male)

jonphotog HB User

Reachout would you mind sharing your story and symptoms with your cancer? I have a lump on my leg hat is suspicious.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Pattyjane

Hope all is still well with the leg. Lumps and bumps anywhere can be worrisome and it is really wise to just always get them checked out to ease our minds.

Hi Jon

I had taken a fall onto my knees on a hard school floor. Pulled my thigh muscles with the spill as well as slamming the knees. I was babying myself the next day and felt what I thought was a pulled, knotted muscle in my left thigh. Didn't think much of it. A week or so later I was at my family doctor's office getting checked for another issue. I mentioned the fall and how that left thigh had a knotted muscle in it. He examined it and sent me immediately to a surgeon. A biospsy was done and my cancer journey began 3 weeks later when the Army dept finally was able to diagnose myxoid liposarcoma ( rare cancer... biopsy ended up being sent to DC). It had really started growing after that fall.. maybe the fall triggered growth somehow and had doubled in size in the three weeks. It was not painful, there really were no symptoms except growth of that lump. Please do get checked out. I will look for a new thread from you to see how it is going.

Best wishes to all
    reach

Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
    jonphotog
    Inactive
    (male)

jonphotog HB User

Reachout:
    How big was the lump when you first found it?
    My lump is about 1.75 inches (3.5 CM) -
    BUT I have this for 25 years. Slowly been growing.
    Painful for 20 years.
    My hope is it hasnt changed from lipoma to cancer.
    I injures it so many times when I was in the furniture business, all though the 1990s.
    I just had a complete check up, chest x rays, colonoscopie, upper endoscopie, blood, etc all normal.
    Seeing a surgeo in 2 hours. I hope he biopsies it today. I cant take any more sleepless nights.
    I read online that the prognosis of a liposarcoma is -5 year survival rate 50%- Scarry!
    Did yours spread at all?
    How long has it been?
    Also, mine in in the front of the leg just below the knee, there is not much flesh over there.
    I read these like to grow deep in fat like the upper leg.
    Thanks for your email.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-02-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Please don't post your email address, or contact information, per Posting Policy.

Closed Thread