It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board

Got It Completely Under Control

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
Candi4190
(female)

Candi4190 HB User
Got It Completely Under Control

I have been suffering from yeast overgrowth for almost 5 years now. I have done so much reading and experimenting, and I FINALLY have it figured out. I believe I will always have the Candida problem, but it will no longer rule my life or drive me crazy, because I know what I need to do to keep it in check. I have had it totally under control for six months now. The three foundations of my management program are (a) blood sugar regulation; (b) apple cider vinegar; and (c) friendly bacteria. The first one took the most research and experimentation. I have long ago given up sweets and closely controlled my intake of natural sugars like fruit. Did you know an apple has 19 grams of sugar??!! But I have learned there is MUCH more to this sugar thing than meets the eye. A blood test showed my fasting glucose at 100, which is one point above normal. Not a big deal, but it clued me in to something. At age 57, I was about 10 pounds overweight, and my daily cardio exercise was not making a dent in it. I started reading about insulin resistance.

When we get older, our bodies reduce their ability to use insulin to transport sugar out of the bloodstream and into the muscles. So the sugar builds up in the blood, which is a bad thing for many reasons. So I started learning about how to improve "insulin sensitivity." The main thing I learned is that my exercise was all wrong. I needed to emphasize two things: (1) weightlifting and (2) interval training. So now, each day, I lift weights (different body area each day) for about 30 minutes, then I do a 12 minute routine of cardio with four all-out sprints. I am dripping with sweat afterwards, and my heart and lungs have had a major workout. IT WORKED! I have lost nearly 10 pounds, I feel great, I look very toned, and I am kicking Candida's butt!!

As far as the dreaded apple cider vinegar, I need 3 tablespoons every other day, mixed with Vitamin Water Zero (made with stevia). I take this with Caprylic Acid (a nutrient that kills yeast) and Fenugreek (an herb that helps insulin sensitivity). There are spices that help insulin sensitivity too. Cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cumin are some of them.

Finally, on the subject of friendly bacteria, I have learned that not all probiotics are created equally. I have researched the one combination of strains that has been put through the most scientific study for survival in the digestive track. It is called VSL#3. This is not a brand, but a combination of strains. I ordered it online and it arrives in an ice pack and needs to be refrigerated. It is important to get probiotics naturally occurring in food too, so I drink plain Kiefer and I eat sauerkraut. I have also learned that to make your probiotics effective, you need pre-biotics. Some of these are hard to come by (e.g. Jerusalem artichoke), but an easy, basic one is bananas (I can only eat half of one). Jicama is also a favorite. I recently discovered another - which is also a great, natural, non-sugar sweetener that tastes rather like molasses - "Yakon Syrup" I mix it into my kiefer.

When it comes to sweeteners, it is important to realize that some artificial sweeteners make the Candida worse. These include malitol sorbitol, and aspertame. But there are some that are actually good for you, like Xylitol (I chew only Xylitol gum) and erythritol. Stevia is good except that too much can make you gassy. I have discovered a stevia sweetened ice cream that is to die for: Halo Top. The only place I can find it is Whole Foods. I eat half a carton every night (120 calories)

In many ways, Candida has been like having a personal trainer. It forces me to eat a low carb, high protein diet, lift weights, sprint, and eat food that is good for me. If I were not forced to do these things because of my yeast overgrowth, I would probably be less healthy overall! So there is a silver lining to this nasty yeast problem. A final word, for days there is a flare up, it is good to have an anti-fungal cream around. I use it on my private parts (ahem) or, rarely, if there is yeast causing itching in my arm pits. The one I use is Clotrimazole 1%. Insurance doesn't cover the prescription strength (because there are over the counter products) but it is worth getting. I hope all this information has helped someone. It has given me total freedom and happiness!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Candi4190
(female)

Candi4190 HB User
Re: Got It Completely Under Control

Based on some advice in the other threads, I am going to add chlorella to my bag of tricks! It is incredible how deep this topic goes. You can think you've read absolutely all the wisdom out there, but you haven't!

Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Keyss
(male)

Keyss HB User
Re: Got It Completely Under Control

Glad to hear you're doing a lot better with it. ^-^

Reply Reply