It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board

Diagnosed with Esophageal candidiasis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User
Diagnosed with Esophageal candidiasis

Hi, I went to the GI doc for chronic GERD. They did an endoscopy and found yeast in my esophagus. Upon googling this condition the results are scary. How common is it for a young adult male to get this condition? I was on antibiotics for bronchitis a month ago and did get a yeast infection on my genitals. That cleared up with some cream the doctor prescribed me. Do I need to go get a diabetes test or an HIV test. I find it highly unlikely I have HIV but this has me scared. Im a very anxious, high strung person and have finals coming up. Of course I broke my right hand two days ago just to add to all of this stress! I see this board isn't frequented often, but I'd appreciate some feedback and support.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Diagnosed with Esophageal candidiasis

I hope your doctor prescribed you meds for it. Systemic Diflucan is the medication.

I had it a few months ago, caused by the inhaler Breo and 2 courses of antibiotics because of a sinus infection. I also had gastritis probably that I got a year ago (5 weeks of severe stomach pain and nausea....and I really should have gone to see my GI at that time, but was too busy).

Are you also on reflux meds?

No need to believe it's anything beyond what it is....reflux will also cause inflammation and some erosion making a yeast infection easier to settle in.

q

Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

Hey thank you for your quick response!

Did they prescibe yeast meds? Yes, I was given a two weeks supply of fluconazole 100mg and told to take two my first day,one pill the next 13 days.

And am I on something for the reflux? Yes, 40mg sometimes 80mg omeprazole a day when it's really bad. The reason I got an endoscopy was because i was still having reflux occasionally even on the omeprazole. Do you know if the yeast can contribute to that?

My question for you: How long until the fluconazole starts to get rid of enough yeast for me to tell a difference? I'm curious as to what symptoms, if any, the yeast has been causing.

Thank you so much. I'm a bit less stressed now

Old 12-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

One last thing, they also said their finding were consistant with gastritis. I forgot to mention that.

Last edited by Moderator1; 12-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....yes, I was put on the same med fluconazole 100mg and went off the Breo and back to my regular asthma meds with no further issues.

Reflux is a mechanical defect of the sphincter at the esophageal/stomach junction. But, in saying that....the yeast infection can cause you more discomfort for sure!

How long have you been on the omeprazole?

Did you have biopsies done?

Adding that you always want to clear up a yeast infection....especially in the esophagus that is vulnerable from reflux. So having one issue to deal with is better than two.

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-13-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

Well, I only started having reflux about 8months ago. It was chronic as in most days I would have a couple unbearable episodes. For a long time I just took baking soda, but I found omeprazole and that did a good job until I saw a doctor.

I don't know the cause of the reflux. The endoscopy was bc I was still having some reflux on omeprazole.

I don't know if the yeast was the cause of the reflux or a symptom.

They said I have gastritis too fwiw.

Yes they said they sent a tissue sample in for biopsy, it will probably be a week.

It's frustrating to me because I still don't really know what's causing the reflux.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

One more thing, the first thing my doc did was test for H. Pylori and it came back negative. My hunch was I had a hiatal hernia so I was surprised when they said yeast. Everything else checked out ok besides the gastritis.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good to hear h. Pylori was negative.

Reflux is caused by a dysfunction of the esophageal/stomach sphincter. That is a given. There are different factors that play into the dysfunction such as hiatal hernia.....so it would be important for you to find out and have surgery if needed. But it boils down to dysfunction. The meds don't change the cause, they help lower the acid in the stomach so that it lowers the incidence of erosion and pain in the esophagus.

Medications such as acid reducers (zantac) and PPI meds (various types and strengths) are necessary at this point to protect your esophagus and help heal the gastritis. But since you have esophageal gastritis and yeast infection, the most obvious of infection needs treatment. The infection is not a cause of reflux, but could be of the gastrits, but so can reflux.

Deal with the issues one at a time. Any inflammation in your stomach? Have you started the fluconazole?

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Spikel (12-16-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

Hey, thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate it!

The endoscopy was to check for a hiatal hernia and since I wasn't diagnosed with it I think it's safe to say that's not the issue.

Also, the gastritis was in my stomache and not in my esophagus.

Yes I started the fluconazole a few days ago. I'm also taking 600mg ibuprofen 3 times daily as told by my doctor cause I broke my hand. I've read there is a synergetic effect between the two meds so I guess that's good. What's not good is that NSAIDS are bad for your stomache.

When I had the reflux really bad before I started the PPI my esophagus was definately damaged. I had a chronic cough and it was hard to swallow, I could feel the acid nipping my throat. I think any esophagital gastritis probably has healed because I've been on the PPI for the last 3-4 months.

I'll just keep on with the PPI, and yes I think I feel better with this yeast being killed. I had a lot of fatigue and bloating.

I assume inflammation is part of gastritis?

Also Ive been taking apple cider vinegar with the mother before meals, I think my stomach feels alot better doing that.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...gastritis is inflammation of the upper gastro tract, so a general term. Yours is now in the stomach, so I don't know if the candida is the cause. It could be higher acid in general or a past infection, but hopefully the biopsy will tell.

Don't take the acv with the PPI...and rinse your mouth out well after taking it as to not cause issue with tooth enamel. Maybe cut back on the ibuprophen if you can. Yeah, rock and hard place....
Hope your hand heals without any issues.

Good no hiatal hernia to worry about....And that you've been on the antifungal.

Keep me posted how you're feeling. When do you go back for the biopsy results?

q

Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

When you say don't take the acv with the PPI do you mean not at all if I'm taking the PPI daily? Or just not the minute I take the pill? I've been diluting it with water but I'll start rinsing my mouth too. I have a problem with jaw clenching and I had some mobile teeth, wearing my mouth guard nightly they're pretty strong now. I don't want to add enamel problems on top of that lol.

I can cut back on the ibuprofen now, the first few days my hand was so swollen and it was painful. It's in a cast now (really fun typing!) and it's not too painful anymore. Of course it's my dominant hand but could be worse so I can't really complain.

They said they're supposed to call me a week from my endoscopy with biopsy results. I guess somewhere around early next week.

I'm feeling really good actually. For awhile I had bad jaw pain and headaches from clenching, acid reflux, then of course broke my hand last week. Right now I'm pretty much pain free and I think the anti fungal has been helping with some other symptoms (nausea, bloating)

Thanks again, this stuff's all new to me but it's going good I think

Last edited by Spikel; 12-15-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #12
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi..time it during an oppossite time than the PPI. When do you usually take them?

Good things are improving. I can relate to the clenching, but can't wear a guard since I clench on it and can't sleep with it in my mouth. I clench during the day....actually chewing gum helps more, lol.

How did you break your hand?

Are you taking a probiotic? That could be of great help for bloating...as can some change in diet if it's caused by food.

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Spikel (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

I take the PPI in the morning with my other meds. I actually just bought a probiotic today, it says it has 1billion organisms or something. I'll see how that helps out.

I used to chew a lot of gum, and if I have a bag of sunflower seeds they're gone in an hour. I clench on my guard too, but it takes the pressure off the ligaments in my jaw. An xray actually showed I had eroded my jaw bone on one side on my lower jaw near my molars. They say it's possible it will fully heal, it takes a long time and a lot of discipline wearing the guard. I think it's been about one year since the dentist discovered my molars were loose and they seem way healthier now.

I really don't know how I broke my hand, I know I played with my dog thursday night. When I woke up friday it hurt a ton but I figured I jammed my pinky. The next day or two it swelled up to a ridiculous size, so I realized I needed to see a doc but had to wait till that Monday.

I've been asked how I broke it (5th metacarpal is split in two at the knuckle) a dozen times lol, I dunno really. Maybe I punched a wall in my sleep or something.

Last edited by Spikel; 12-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi....so, you don't know how you broke your hand? Just like the bruises I get. LOL.

Good to hear the mouth guard is helpful considering your improvement.

Have you had a complete blood work-up, especially of calcium, mag and vitamin D as well as liver enzymes?

Take your probiotic at bedtime on an empty stomach.
Eventually you can venture into higher dosage....a good probiotic is Advanced Gut Health by Genuine Health. I use a combo of that and Ultimate Flora Critical Care.

Keep me posted on how you're doing...hope your hand heals with no issues.

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-17-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #15
Spikel
(male)

Spikel HB User

Hey again, yes thankfully being 24 I'm covered under my mother's health insurance still. Last year I found out I had gotten mono. Was tired constantly and all that was awful for at least a year!

I had a physical 6months ago and vitamin D was I believe 4.5, so extremely low. I've been taking supplements daily for that, 5000units with the occasional day or two that I forget. Overall I've been very consistant.

I also suffer from depression/anxiety, I'm on prozac for that. It helps the depression, the anxiety not so much. I've also been using my SAD light this winter season for the first time in awhile. I can feel the depression creeping in sometimes like it always has since I was 19, but this seems to keep it at bay. The prozac seems to be losing some of its effect as I've been on it over 3 years now at 40mg right now.

The one thing the physical brought up that was alarming was my liver enzymes were raised a little above the normal range. Still below 100 I can't remember which one. My parents are daily drinkers and I can't deny I do drink a bit every night. I've been reading horror stories online recently and I really do want to cut back. 3-4 beers isn't healthy. Oh and yea, I'm living with my parents and older brother right now. Just got my associates degree actually! Going to school for electrical engineering

Last edited by Spikel; 12-18-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Reply Reply