It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board

• What can be done if someone like me isnt a good lasik candidate?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
    myope33

myope33 HB User
    What can be done if someone like me isnt a good lasik candidate?

What can be done if someone like me isnt a good lasik candidate?

1. I believe my pupils to be at least 8mm and possibily 9mm fully dilated. They get so huge there is just a thin circle of iris left. My eye is pratically one huge pupil!

[URL=http://www.med.harvard.***/publications/On_The_Brain/Volume4/Number1/Picts/Alz4.gif]huge pupil[/URL]

My pupil often gets larger than that in the above image.

2. I have mild dry eyes. Rarely wear contacts they are never comfortable.
    Computer use sometimes dries my eyes. Im worried lasik may make this worse.

3. I dont have very good accomodation. Things are blurry from near with glasses so I take em off. I use weaker glasses for the computer.

4. im -5.5(left) -5(right) 3 months back when I got an eye exam. Durning my lasik evaluation, my corneas were measured as 550.

My biggest problem is huge pupils. Is there any type of surgury that can be done? I heard aphakik intraoccular lenses would work since it replaces the natural lense and is larger than any dilated pupil. Any other surgury doesnt fully cover the huge pupil zone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User
    Re: What can be done if someone like me isnt a good lasik candidate?

i was also not a good candidate for lasik.

1. i have 9mm pupils.

2. i have thin corneas.

3. my prescription was -10.25 in both eyes with slight astigmatism.

the surgeon i chose warned me of the possible side effects. he said the vision i could expect is my vision with contacts or glasses. because of my pupils, i still have trouble with night vision. halos, ghosting, glare, starburst. it is not so bad that i cannot deal with it and it has and is continuing to improve with time.

my surgeon suggested prk over lasik. there are many pros and cons of prk.

although i live in very dry climate, i have never had trouble with dry eyes. you can talk to your doctor about punctal plugs. many people find relief from preservative free drops.

my vision is 20/20. it was the best thing i have ever done for myself. i think the most important thing about someone who is not the ideal candidate is to find a really good doctor. i went to ten different doctors and lasik centers before i found one i was comfortable with.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
    myope33

myope33 HB User

" he said the vision i could expect is my vision with contacts or glasses."

But you did better than that! You probably did at least as good as contacts and definately better than glasses because they minify and disort. Accroding to my math, if you saw 20/20 with glasses, youd see 20/16 without minification. 20/25 becomes 20/20 likewise. Were you able to see all or more than 2/3 of the 20/20 line? 20/20 is a very nice result for an extreme myope. You probably gained lines of BCVA over your glasses. My BCVA is 20/30(left) 20/40(right) from my own testing. I remember the optometrist saying I was 20/25 final results durning the eye exam after choosing "which is better" I believe this must be with both eyes and me pratically guessing the shape of the dots and I missed some too. I did get 100% of the 20/30 line. My vision is quite bad uncorrected anyway(about -5), barely 20/400 in the day. I might become 20/20 after lasik like you did and with todays advanced wavefront, the odds have been touted to be over 90%!

"i still have trouble with night vision. halos, ghosting, glare, starburst. it is not so bad that i cannot deal with it and it has and is continuing to improve with time."

Has it interferred with your nightly activities such as driving, watching a movie, reading a menu in a dimly lit restraurant, etc?

"i have thin corneas."

how thin? What size ablation zone was used?

Has the issue of presbyopia been a concern for you? Id imagine not really because at -10.25 you would have a hard time reading without glasses anyway bringing everything so close to your face as to be inconvinent. For me its slightly inconvinent but not so close to be a pain.

Has complications such as haze been a worry? Many doctors wont do PRK or epi-lasik if your over -6

Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
    Jond
    (male)

Jond HB User

cremebrulee,

How long ago did you have Lasik? I had mine 2 months ago and I am having ghosting problems too. How much improvement have you seen with the ghosting, over time? My pupils are 7mm, which is larger than ideal but not nearly as large as yours.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
    raph93
    (male)

raph93 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jond
    cremebrulee,

How long ago did you have Lasik? I had mine 2 months ago and I am having ghosting problems too. How much improvement have you seen with the ghosting, over time? My pupils are 7mm, which is larger than ideal but not nearly as large as yours.
    i have some ****ing ghosting @left eye since my PKR on July 12th (((

Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #6
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

What does PRK stand for? I want to look it up since cataracts forming on my eyes have not made me a candidate.

wb

Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
    myope33

myope33 HB User

If you have cateracts, you arent a candidate for anything but cateract surgury where they remove the cloudy lense and put a new one in. This also takes care of your refractive error, this is why no reputable doctor will do lasik/prk. Anyone that does is just making a big mistake.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User

Myope33 - sorry it took me so long to respond to your questions. My last appointment was back in July. I was able to read a few letters on the 20/15 line. I think I would have been able to read the entire line if the chart wasn't one of those projected illuminated eye charts.

"Has it interferred with your nightly activities such as driving, watching a movie, reading a menu in a dimly lit restraurant, etc?" - During the first month after surgery, I was very cautious about driving at night. I took a road trip from San Diego to the Bay area to visit my sister and I had a friend drive for me. I have no problems watching movies or reading menus in a dimly lit restaurant. My near vision is better than perfect. The only problem I have is when there are bright lights. The lights such as headlights bother me. Right now I am looking outside at the street lights and there are some halos around the light. It is not bad. I don't really notice it unless I am thinking about it. It took about a month for me to be really comfortable with driving at night.

"how thin? What size ablation zone was used?" I do not remember the exact measurements of my cornea or the ablation zone. I know that the doctor calculated that I would have enough thickness for an enhancement if I were to need it. The doctor didn't use the outdated Nidek lasers. He uses the Visx Star4 laser. I did not qualify for the Custom Wavefront laser.

"Has the issue of presbyopia been a concern for you? Id imagine not really because at -10.25 you would have a hard time reading without glasses anyway bringing everything so close to your face as to be inconvinent. For me its slightly inconvinent but not so close to be a pain." - I have never had issues with presbyopia. My near vision is better than perfect. Presbyopia is an age related concern for people over 40. I was 25, now 26. I know a few people over 40 who had the surgery with my surgeon. They elected to go with the monovision. A coworkers says that she sometimes has trouble reading anything that is printed on off-white paper.

"Has complications such as haze been a worry? Many doctors wont do PRK or epi-lasik if your over -6" - The first week after the surgery my vision was a little hazy because the epithelium was slowly growing back. The doctor described the growth like a spider web. The bandage contact lens was removed after a few days and I wore my eye shields to bed for a week. (With lasik, you have to wear the shield for a month.) I was one of those interesting cases where none of the procedures were an ideal. We sat down and evaluated the best course to take.

Jond: I had PRK on April 21. The ghosting has not completely gone away but has improved over time.

My vision has always been horrible. I wasn't expecting perfect vision. What I got is a hundred times better than I could ever hope for. The only complaint I have is that I can no longer cut onions without tearing. Before my contacts acted as a shield.

Closed Thread