It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

Home care experience

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
BOSSGIRL
(female)

BOSSGIRL HB User
Home care experience

Has anyone had an experience recently with a home care company? Have you hired a caregiver for your loved one or family member? How was the experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Home care experience

Hi Bossgirl. Tons of experience! My stepdad has parkinsons's disease and cannot be left alone for any period of time more than a few minutes. My mom and I have been hiring home care nurses to stay with him while she is at work for five years.

What are the experiences? That you cannot depend on any one agency- it is all hit or miss depending on the actual care taker they send. Some are wonderful, some are terrible. Some are reliable, some are not. Some are compassionate and will take care of your loved one- some sit on their but all day and watch videos on their phone or on your TV.

The good news? You can request a different care taker if the first one (or six) dont work out. You can also go from agency to agency. Some agencies are great about finding you a replacement if your girl gets sick or has an emergency and cant make it; others will say "Oh well" guess YOU arent going to work today because we dont have a replacement. Some make promises that they cant keep; others really try to keep them but dont have the staffing to always be able to do so. It appears that the girls who do this kind of work rotate agencies faster than you can say BOO.

Some of the girls are very honest. Some - not so much. We have had thievery in our home. We have had girls who we would trust with our lives. We have had agencies tell us that the girls love working for us, and others tell us that girls dont want to work for us because its "too much work". Duh- he needs full care! We woulndt be hiring help if he didnt need this much care!

Its a crapshoot to be honest. I dont know what your situation is or how much home care you are looking for, but my suggestion is to meet with all the agencies who service your area- interview the actual home aide who would be coming and THEN COMMIT to TRYING them out. Dont sign anything long term!

I hope this helps!
MSNik

Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
BOSSGIRL
(female)

BOSSGIRL HB User
Re: Home care experience

Thanks a lot. Your response was very insightful.

Reply Reply