It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

challenges when feeding a resident

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
SDCFORLTC

SDCFORLTC HB User
challenges when feeding a resident

I have a question about challenges like Refusing to eat, will not open the mouth or biting on the spoon, spitting food on the floor. What kinds of things can we do with these behaviors?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: challenges when feeding a resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCFORLTC View Post
I have a question about challenges like Refusing to eat, will not open the mouth or biting on the spoon, spitting food on the floor. What kinds of things can we do with these behaviors?
That's a good question. Do you know why the person is refusing to eat? Knowing the reason might help if the person can be reasoned with. However, if the person has dementia there may not be much you can do.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
SDCFORLTC

SDCFORLTC HB User

I am not sure if it is overstimulation in the dining room, but she also wanders off during the meal and then repeatedly says she is hungry, it is difficult to redirect.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Would she be allowed to eat in her room? Maybe she would do better eating by herself where there are no distractions.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
tunacracker
(male)

tunacracker HB User

I agree with removing distractions!

My mother had severe dementia, and distraction would interrupt feeding.

Biting the spoon I suspect is a sensory response as well as challenging their helper.

Refusing to eat?

Taste, texture, temperature, may all play rolls here.

Mom could not feed herself, did not quite understand the process due to confusion however, chanting "open, open, Joyce, open up" would get her to let the airplane in, usually.

Sometimes touching the spoon to the lip, and once the lips cracked we would zip the spoon in fairly quick, before she could bite it.

We would get visiting aides on Sundays and this is where I might have to feed mom.

What became clear was, ladies who had fed children were far more adept at all the little tricks, which is where my learning came from.

Best wishes

Reply Reply

« Caregiver | - »