It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

Hallucinations and more, how do you handle it?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Viking64
(female)

Viking64 HB User
Question Hallucinations and more, how do you handle it?

Father-in-law who is 91, has dementia. How do you all deal with the hallucinations? He "sees" people in the house all the time. People he doesn't know. One time he thought "they" were filming a movie in his house. People in closets, people trying to kill him, etc. Yesterday he tries to give bananas to all the invisible kids he is seeing. Babies are a very popular hallucination. those are the good ones. He asks you if you want one because there are so many he says he can't take care of them all.

How do YOU deal with them? My sister-in-law just kind of jokes with him and plays a long, or ignores them. My husband tends to be more like "dad, there isn't anyone there", at which my father-in-law would get so angry and ready to punch my husband. "If I say I saw it, you can believe it is true, I have never lied in my life" - he says in anger.

How do YOU deal with these hallucinations, do you play along, ignore, or try to reason with them?

Also, now that he has wandered out of the house now, twice, and fallen, thank goodness no injuries, luckily neighbors on both sides are vigilant. How do you deal with that? ------we are in process of getting 24/7 care for him at home now.

My mother died from end stage dementia 2 years ago. The hallucinations weren't that frequent, and she never wandered out of the house, because she was too weak.

Just wondering how you all handle stuff like this.
Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Ldehaan1
(female)

Ldehaan1 HB User
Re: Hallucinations and more, how do you handle it?

My mother too is having Hallucinations but is afraid of going outside. She sees people all the time. Sometimes she gets up because we are having a party without her. My husband and I, if I am not in bed are sitting in the living room on our computers with the TV on. I am an only child, with 2 children that work full time and a 72 year old husband who has heart disease. Dad died in February from heart related disease and I was his main caregiver because my mom could not do it. My mom has been showing signs of this for 2 years. But only recently did the PCP diagnose it as AD. She told the Dr. that life was not worth living anymore. We talked about Pallative care but he also said she could stop eating and taking her other medications. Well, he does not know my mom. She won't eat much but put something in front of her and she will finish it. Everything is the other woman that lives with us, me of course, fault. But I am not supposed to take this personally everyone tells me.

We got her into Hospice and since she can sit up and walk with a walker the Hospice Doctor is thinking we don't qualify. If they had to put up with what I do when they are not present, they would not say that. She is on good behavior when they are here. Then things go downhill when they are not. She has "sundowning" from about 3:00 p.m. on and the Dr. told me to put a lock on the door so she cannot get out of her room at night. We have a hospice bed and last night she found a way to get out of it and then my husband had to put her back in it. i was passed out from exhaustion. I have my own health issues, 15 hospitalizations this year alone. She thinks she is to blame for it and until my son moved her recliner she would constantly stare at me like I was going to fall over dead.

She is only 78, I love her, and my dad made me make a deathbed promise to take care of her. Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have done it. She makes too much in SS and a small Pension to qualify for Medicaid, but they don't take into effect that she has credit cards and a loan that as long as she is alive she has to pay, no matter where she lives. The memory care units start at $4200 around here. If you put all our SS, pensions and my disability together we could pay it. My husband and I would have no place to live, be able to eat or have a car.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, sometimes the hallucinations are mild, but other times the paranoia comes out with it. She thinks people are stealing her pills. No one in the house would want them. I have my own medications and she wanted to start taking them the other day.

I pray every night that she will pass quietly and without pain. I also ask God and my dad to forgive me for whatever I have done to hurt her that day.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-22-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Viking64
(female)

Viking64 HB User
Re: Hallucinations and more, how do you handle it?

Sorry for all you are going through. It is very tough to handle. Emotionally draining.

About a week after I posted, the family had to hire a live in aide. And then a week after that my father-in-law had a massive stroke while in bed. After a few days in the hospital, we chose to do home hospice. He couldn't eat or drink very much at all because of the damage to his left side. Couldn't stand, walk, or sit either.

He became unresponsive on Aug 16, and passed away Aug 17.

Reply Reply

« My Dad | Caregiver »