It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

Its been a while ... need advice

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User
Its been a while ... need advice

Hi all,
I posted a year ago worried about my dad possibly having Alzheimer's. Well we had to bring him to the ER over the weekend because he became very agitated about thoughts of my mother having affairs with the other men. He was calling up relatives and accusing them of having affairs with my mom. He then held a knife, but didn't use it. His forgetfulness is getting way worse as well and he stays awake at night fearing robbers. He was never really diagnosed with anything yet which is very frustrating even after talking to doctors about it often. I am hoping that the mental health unit can finally diagnose something.

My question is will he be able to go back home? Does this mean he will have to go into a nursing home? We haven't got any answers yet, but am worried about what the outcome will be. He has really good days but this last spell was the worst we have seen him and lasted the longest. How bad and how fast does this disease progress?
Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 08-11-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Its been a while..need advice

Hi. Sorry you are going through all this...been there and it's scary. Unfortunately this is a progressive disease which does not get better. It can progress very fast, or it can take a long time. There is no straight answer.

What you need to be thinking about at this time is his safety. And the families safety. Is he safe at home? If he is picking up knives, what else might put him or someone else in danger? Is it possible living in a dementia unit where he is overseen might be what is best for him?

The phone calls to the relatives I can relate to as well. My father was calling the police (911) a few times a day and saying either than someone was breaking in OR that we were holding him against his will....after the 6th time the cops came in the middle of the night, we were forced to make changes. None of us were able to convince anyone that we could prevent it from happening again (we had already taken away his cell phone, unplugged the phone in his room, etc- but he would wander around until he found one of our cell phones even when we hid them). Something had to be done. It was about that time that he started getting "out". He would wander the neighborhood and get lost. I cant tell you how many times neighbors brought him home.

Its horrible to watch this decline, but its important that you put him first and think about his safety. No one is safe if he is not in his right mind and it's not his fault. Its the disease.

Best of luck to you..

Reply Reply