It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

• care taking of Dementia/Alzheimers

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
    kymi7
    (female)

kymi7 HB User
    care taking of Dementia/Alzheimers

Hello, it has been quite a while since I posted here. I am not in the stage of life where I am taking care of my mother. Not one doctor has ever diagnosed here, we finally have a neurologist appointment after 9 years to see what is happening. However, I know what is wrong. I just need help with the next stage here, about 5 weeks ago she started screaming...."Help me, help me" the first several weeks, I ran in there but she wanted nothing. I fix all meals, pay all bills, shower and dress her etc. However this screaming thing is really pushing me to a breaking point, I took a job to work at home so she wouldn't have to go into a home. My sister promised my deceased father 20 years ago. I am just looking for some advice....PLEASE.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: care taking of Dementia/Alzheimers

Hi Kymi,

I took care of my father who had Alzheimer's so I have a good idea of what it's like and what you are going through. Back then, in the early 1980s, I had no internet and no book to guide me. I just took it one day at a time, never knowing what to expect. And it wore me down quite a bit.

It's difficult to give advice because different people behave differently when they have Alzheimer's, and different caregivers may react differently. But if you're doing it by yourself and have a job working at home, I don't know how you're managing all of that responsibility. It seems like you're taking on too much for one person.

Probably the worst thing is the lack of predictability because their behavior is constantly changing. My father got out of the house twice and I had to go get him. Luckily, he didn't go far and didn't get hurt. But my neighbor's father, who also had Alzheimer's, got out of the house, started walking on the highway and was hit by a car. He died instantly.

That's when I put special locks on the front and back doors. That's something you might want to think about.

Other than that, I think you'll probably need someone to come in to help with her care or just help with general household chores at first. If you're alone you might need someone to watch her when you go out grocery shopping.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: care taking of Dementia/Alzheimers

There are medications but they don't work on everyone...but it's worth a try. Hopefully the doctor will do an MMSE test to see where her cognitive abilities stand at this time. Also, be sure you have any legal papers already drawn (will, final directive,etc) so that you can manage things as needed. An attorney may not allow her to sign if he feels her condition renders her unable to make sound decisions.

Reply Reply