It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

• burnout caregiver

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
    valleygirl12345
    (female)

valleygirl12345 HB User
    burnout caregiver

Hi my daughter has schizophrenia affective disorder. All of the family have given up on my daughter. 20 years later I am still the only one working on giving my daughter encouragement etc.

her delusions are very difficult to deal with. I have been told not to give in to the delusions. And yet, when the delusions fall apart Mom is the one that gets the fall out. This is where I do not know what to do.

I am very ill myself. I am so burned out from my daughter's illness on top of everything. I had to ask for a 6 month break from her. I feel very bad as a mom. I do not understand why I am not able to help my daughter.

so now, I am depressed. I am working on keeping my environment peaceful in order to do that i need peace. Peace will help me heal with my chronic illness.

I was in the right to let my daughter go at age 40. encouraged her to get help. and yet, my heart is broken from what I have done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: burnout caregiver

Hi there. Do not have a broken heart. You are of no use to your daughter or anyone else if you do not take care of yourself first.

I have been a caregiver several times for several different illnesses; I know what burnout feels like and its horrible. I am glad you are taking time for yourself...its critically important.

It sounds like you made arrangements to make sure your daughter has a backup plan while you focus on you....care to tell us about it? It doesn't sound like you abandoned her. How can we help?

Please know you are not alone and that you did NOTHING wrong by taking time for you. Hugs!

Reply Reply