It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board

Help my mom with depression?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
jaguirre89
(male)

jaguirre89 HB User
Unhappy Help my mom with depression?

The Bottom Line: My mom is in a sort of halfway house in Fl. I need to find a government-funded place for her to live where she can be taken care of, monitored and given the proper medication.

Also how to go about removing her alimony payments that my dad pays her weekly so that she can qualify for a government institution.

The background: My parents got divorced several years ago and my mother traveled to live with my grandma to take care of her. After about a year, she started complaining about lack of sleep and severe anxiety. During 2012 she had a breakdown. She started talking a lot about God and that she was "saved". She ran out of the house bare and was apparently holding a knife (unconfirmed). When the police arrived, they had to force her onto the stretcher with the paramedics. She was baker acted (1) on site. when I made it to the hospital she was under baker act so I couldn’t see her until the doc did. They said it was a really bad UTI and they recommended psychological help for her. When she got released she wanted everything to go back to the way it was. I started digging through her finances and found out she was $60k in debt and had around 14 credit cards near maxed. She also was scammed of all of the money her mother lent her. My family decided that she wasn’t safe there taking care of my mom so we schemed to baker act (2) her again in the event that she would cooperate with the psychiatrists and get help. She got out in 3 days. They said there was nothing wrong with her.

Now the reasoning behind this is because my mom history of being an RN, she used to tell me how to talk to the doctors to get the strongest medicine. It never dawned on me that she was manipulating them until I got older but when she sits in front of a psychiatrist, she controls the direction of the conversation that will prove to be near fatal in the future. So after 72 hours, she was released and didn’t want to be at my gram’s house anymore. After I brought her to a bankruptcy lawyer she was okay, and got her finances situated for the meantime, helped her find a job caring for an elderly man. She did that for about 3 months. In 2012, I received a message from her, “I’ll always love you.” I called right away and she was battling suicidal thoughts. After 45 minutes of consoling, I had her promise me not to make any decisions tonight and I’d be up in a few days. The next morning, the man who she was caring for called me saying that she was convulsing, foaming at the mouth and unresponsive. I made my way up there and the doc confirmed that it was an overdose.

She was cleared medically in about 2 days and then sent to a mental institution under baker act (3). She hated it there and called me frequently. I called them 3 times a day every day to try and get ahold of the charge nurse or the doctor. No one would help. They either “didn’t have her paperwork” or were “not authorized to speak” to me. So I finally mentioned the word lawsuit and lawyer and within an hour, I had a head doctor call me on conference call with my mom on the line. I let him know that she was manipulative and just trying to get out to commit suicide again. I didn’t want her released unless they were bringing her to another facility. He assured me that they would mandate therapy sessions and that she would be given two scripts if I came to pick her up. When I picked her up, she told me they didn’t give her anything and that she is sorry and wouldn’t do that again.

Her under-the-table job fired her for instability and I moved her into a weekly stay hotel. She was paying for this with the alimony checks and didn’t have her car. I left her there for one week and was coming up to help her when she had unexpectedly called her friend and had herself picked up and brought to her friend’s house. At this point, I wiped my hands from it for 4 days until I made another call because I couldn’t get ahold of my mom. Apparently she was in the hospital. She apparently took 90 blood pressure medicine (I believe it was metolazone) out of the 10 or so that I left her with and called the ambulance herself. This was not a cry for help. She waited in the hospital waiting room for about 10 hours before they assigned her a room. They medically cleared her in about 1 hour and then brought her over to mental hospital for baker act (5). She got out in 72 hours after telling the psych doc that she was severely anxious and they provided her with a script of 30 Zanax. She got out and drove to the nearest parmacy, cashed it in and I called the pharmacist and tried to get info on what drugs they gave her but they wouldn’t tell me. I told them I think she is outside trying to commit suicide (because she had texted me saying she loves me again and she is sitting on a bench outside). The paramedics found her unconscious in the car and took her again to the same hospital.

She was cleared medically in 2 or 3 days and baker acted (6) again. This time my father went to pick her up and towed her car back. She stayed with me for 6 weeks during which time she wouldn’t come out of her room and didn’t watch tv or have any stimulation or social interaction. She claimed to have not been eating on week 6 for a couple weeks in a row so we called the paramedics again. They advised us that she was most likely lying but they brought her to the hospital anyway. After a few hours, she was cleared medically and they baker acted her (7) again because they got her to admit that she was depressed. My father and I went to visit her and she was a different person. She tried to act like she wanted to get out and get her own place and get a haircut and be productive and this was a 180 degree change from the sheltered, shy and afraid adolescent child that we have been dealing with the whole time. We talked about it and refused to pick her up from the hospital because of the erratic behavior and was hoping the government could do a better job to help her.

She received a list of places she could go to that are alongside homeless shelters. She chose a nice lady that has a home and cares for people that are going to be on the street. She has lived there now for 5 or 6 months and has gotten 30% thinner and 200% more reserved and depressed. She no longer believes in God and doesn’t see a future for herself. She has no hope whatsoever and every time I go to visit her (once every two weeks or so) she begs me to kill her.

I am 23 and she is 51 and I am the only person who is helping her in the family. Please give me some direction as to what help I can be. I am not power of attorney but can most likely pull that off if I need to. I am just worried that the bankruptcy will be too much for me to deal with. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, bipolar, depression, schizophrenia