It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

Carpal/ulnar tunnel syndrome together

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
SedonaBob
(male)

SedonaBob HB User
Question Carpal/ulnar tunnel syndrome together

3 months ago at about 3:30 am i got up to pee and was fine. Went back to sleep and 2 hrs. later when I did get up my left arm/hand were not working properly. Went to emergency rm where they ruled out stroke and heart attack. They sent me to a neurologist a week later who ran electrical tests and sensitivity tests and he told me I had both ulnar tunnel syndrome and carpal tunnel syndrome. More tests 2 weeks after that confirmed the diagnosis and said that they were getting worse. The doctor recommended surgery for both which were done another 2 weeks later. It has now been 6 weeks since the surgery and 4 weeks since i started PT and both conditions have continued to get worse. I have never had any pain anywhere associated with this, only numbness and loss of fine motor control. Strength has improved with the PT and is now above normal for my age. I am thinking now that the "carpal tunnel syndrome" and the "ulnar tunnel syndrome" were not the actual cause of the numbness but were just symptoms of some other nerve problem. I would love to hear from anybody who has had or has heard about something like this and has an idea what the actual cause might be.

Summary of weird symptoms:
1. Went from fine to bad in 2 hours while asleep
2. No pain anywhere, ever
3. Both carpal and ulnar tunnel syndromes at the same time (maybe the same cause rather than different causes??)

Thank you for your help, SedonaBob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Carpal/ulnar tunnel syndrome together

What the actual cause might be:

Bob, I'm going to state the obvious: This happened at night while sleeping; what happens at night when we sleep? Our blood pressure goes a lot lower, and that in turn has an effect on our circulation. Making things worse, you might have turned on your side and slept on your arm a little. So here's my question: Could this (hypothetical lack of circulation) have caused some nerve damage?

Another possible cause might be a deficiency of vitamin B-12. Have you been tested for this? You didn't give your age but some people, as they get older, have trouble getting enough B-12 from their food.

For all I know, this might even be a combination of poor circulation and a B-12 deficiency

Old 04-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
SedonaBob
(male)

SedonaBob HB User

John,

Thank you so much for the reply. It is of course possible that I slept on my arm in a funny position but I have slept on my sides pretty much all my life (I never have been able to sleep on my stomach or my back for more than a few minutes and I can only do that if I am extremely tired). In fact, when I first got up, I thought that was what happened and I expected it to go away in a few minutes. When it hadn't gotten better in a couple of hours was when I made the decision to go to the ER. Regarding the B-12, I have been taking 5,000 mg every other day for about 3 years. I am currently 67 years old.

It occurs to me that, since both conditions seem to have started at the same time, the problem may lie somewhere between my spinal chord and where the ulnar and medial nerves split apart. Does that make any sense? It is not clear to me exactly where this occurs but looking at a diagram it appears to be around or under the collar bone. I go back to the surgeon that did my operations on April 26 and would like to be able to ask intelligent questions about this if it is a possibility.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Bob, here's another question you might ask your doctor: Is it possible to have a mini-stroke, or series of mini-strokes, that might go undetected with medical testing?

Years ago, my father had a few mini-strokes and I was there to see two of them happen. Both times he called out to me for help as he thought he was going to fall over. In the few seconds it took for me to get to him, it was all over. Then when he went to the doctor to see about it, the doctor said he couldn't find anything wrong. However, some time later we noticed that he had lost his sense of smell.

Perhaps you should ask your doctor if it's possible that you might have had one or more mini-strokes during the night.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
SedonaBob
(male)

SedonaBob HB User

John,

I will certainly ask that tomorrow when I see him. I am hoping that he will have some idea why this is getting worse instead of better. I will let you know what he says.

Thanks, Bob

Old 04-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
SedonaBob
(male)

SedonaBob HB User

John,

Did more neurological tests today which show the nerve conduction getting a little better even though the numbness has been getting worse. The Doc is really not sure what is going on but he scheduled a mri on my neck in 2 weeks to see if some past injury may be causing the problem. We'll see what that shows.

In the meantime, I will post any further developments as they occur.

Bob

Old 05-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #7
verba
(male)

verba HB User

10 years ago, I slept in a weird posture on the top bunk of my bunk bed. My hand was hanging from the crevice and I slept on top of it. It's weird to describe the exact position and I don't even recall correctly. Anyhow, the result was that by the time I woke up I realized that I cannot feel anything below my wrist of the right hand. Moreover, i had lost my grip completely. I was unable to hold a pen, grab a ball, my PlayStation controller or anything that required strength below the wrist.
My doctor advised me to practice my grip strength on a stress ball.
I suffered from that ailment for a bout 7 weeks, it took 6 shots of nerve power serum to treat my problem finally.

Reply Reply