It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

Emg

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
interstate495
Veteran
(female)

interstate495 HB User
Emg

Hi I am waiting for an appointment to have an EMG done
I had surgery 8 weeks ago and the hand the IV was two of my fingers have been numb the index finger and the middle finger, I thought it would have gone away by now but it hasn't, I'm nervous about getting it done how bad is the test and is there anything I can do top prepare for it.
Thx
AIC 5.9 Fasting 107mg/dl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Emg

Since people perceive pain very differently, it is difficult to say whether you will find it "bad" or not. Most people do not find it too bad. Since I assume they will only be testing for the area that gives you pain, the test should not last too long.
You can read up on it ahead of time so you know what to expect.

I have found that the doctor or technician who performs the test tells you what is going to happen every step of the way. That helps to reduce anxiety.

Hope they find what is causing your numbness.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Trc2k16
(male)

Trc2k16 HB User

I had an EMG 2 weeks ago and it was a complete joke.

On a pain scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst I give it a 1 all day long.

No part of the test I would consider painful at all. A couple times I took a jolt that had me giggling as my arm/hand reacted.

Nothing to it.

Last edited by Trc2k16; 07-31-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

An EMG lasts about a second. Picture a rubber band snap type sensation. It can hurt like the dickens for a split second but it is over that fast. By the time you breathe, the next one will happen. the pain level is very individualized. I had it done on an area which is giving me allot of pain and I felt it. It hurt like crazy....but as soon as the test was over (in under 5 minutes) the pain was completely gone. Its one of those bite the bullet things I think.
There is no real way to know how it will affect you, but even if it is horrible, it will be over before you know it. I promise, once the test is done, the pain is over. There is no lingering pain from it..
Good luck!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

To be fair, each individual needle electrode may last several seconds but the entire exam can last up to 45 minutes or longer depending on what is being examined. Also, the test is subjective depending a great deal on the skill of the person administering the exam AND the way the results are interpreted.

People who have had the EMG several times under different people administering it know that the experiences can be very different!

I would imagine in your case they will only be checking a couple cervical dermatomes so the whole exam shouldn't last long and I doubt you will find it painful.

By the way, when I had my first baby, the nurse couldn't get the IV into my wrist and after about seven attempts, she gave up and found someone else to do it.
I ended up with a lovely baby boy and nerve damage that resulted in a wrist that would suddenly drop without warning. It took about two years and quite a bit of physical therapy, but the damage did finally go away.

I think you will find that your numbness will eventually go away...but it may take awhile before it resolves.

Just one question: how long was your surgery?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
interstate495
Veteran
(female)

interstate495 HB User

Thanks to everyone who sent a reply, my rotator cuff surgery lasted 2.5 hrs
the doctor had originally said 1.5 hr but once he got in there the tear was a lot bigger than the MRI had shown also he did work on the bicep tendon and shaved the clavicle bone.
AIC 5.9 Fasting 107mg/dl

Reply Reply