It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• question about numb hands...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
    alpinemeadow
    (female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User
    question about numb hands...

For a long time now I have experienced numbness in my hands especially while sleeping or things like talking on the phone. It seems like my pinkies on both hands become numb first, and then the rest of the hand becomes numb, too. I have no pain at all. Does this sound like carpal tunnel or something that could progress to carpal tunnel? And if it is carpal tunnel, would my pinkies still be involved, or due to something else? I have been wondering for a long time if this is something I should get looked at or since I'm not having any problems if it were okay to just wait it out? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Cool Re: question about numb hands...

Hello
    When the pinkies are involved it's more likely to be Cubital Tunnel Syndrome as Carpal involves the thumb & mainly the index & middle fingers (supplied by the median nerve). Try doing a search on Ulnar Nerve Entrapment & I think you'll find that your symptoms fit in with what you read.

Lidia

Old 01-27-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
    alpinemeadow
    (female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User
    Re: question about numb hands...

Thanks for your responses! Actually, what I have been noticing lately is that sometimes my pinkie and ring fingers will go numb, with the other two fingers not going numb. Other times my pointer and middle fingers go numb, but not the outer two fingers, and sometimes all fingers go numb. So maybe I have carpal tunnel AND cubital tunnel. Does that happen very often? Also, I don't have problems all of the time, just some of the time, like when I am in certain positions. I don't honestly know whether I should call the doctor or not. I try to avoid them at all costs. I'm wondering if the most important factor is that I am not in any pain whatsoever, so if I just shouldn't worry about it yet. I hear most carpal tunnelers are in a lot of pain, and I don't have that.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Re: question about numb hands...

Hi Alpine
    Well I've got both Carpal & Cubital Tunnel Syndromes so feel qualified to reply here I had surgery for the cts a number of years ago & wouldn't have described my symptoms as 'pain'. I don't have many problems with cts these days but I do have this ulnar nerve thing now.

I've recently (since my last post further up) heard of there being a 'crossover' in nerves too where people with ulnar nerve symptoms actually have cts!! Only way to suss that out is via electowhatsit testing... emg/ncv tests. My advice would be to go to your doc & get yourself these tests to see exactly what's going on & what's causing your probs.

Just coz you ain't got pain doesn't mean you ain't got a problem!
    Good luck!
    Lidia

Closed Thread