It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• I had a EMG test today and was confirmed I do have carpal tunnel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
    SherriT

SherriT HB User
    I had a EMG test today and was confirmed I do have carpal tunnel

I went to an orthopedic dr before Christmas. I was having tingling in the hands, they felt like they were constantly falling asleep. My feet would fall asleep too but not very frequent. He said i have carpal tunnel and told me to wear these wrist braces on my wrists for 2 weeks. I did that and it did not help at all. I went back to him last week and he still feels for sure I have carpal tunnel. I disagreed because now my feet were going more numb and i think the 2 are related. He sent me to a neuro.I had a MRI of my brain done, blood work done to rule out diabetes and I had a EMG test today. He said that did confirm I do have carpal tunnel but the test does not show anything going on with my feet going numb. He said to schedule a follow up appt to go over all of my test results. I can't get in for 3 MORE WEEKS!! I am so mad!! Why couldn't he just take 5-10 more minutes to go over everything today?! Now i don't know what to do... any suggestions? Anyone else having numbness in their feet too and also have carpal tunnel? I just want to get to the bottom of this! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
    Kaylbe

Kaylbe HB User
    Re: I had a EMG test today and was confirmed I do have carpal tunnel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SherriT
    I went to an orthopedic dr before Christmas. I was having tingling in the hands, they felt like they were constantly falling asleep. My feet would fall asleep too but not very frequent. He said i have carpal tunnel and told me to wear these wrist braces on my wrists for 2 weeks. I did that and it did not help at all. I went back to him last week and he still feels for sure I have carpal tunnel. I disagreed because now my feet were going more numb and i think the 2 are related. He sent me to a neuro.I had a MRI of my brain done, blood work done to rule out diabetes and I had a EMG test today. He said that did confirm I do have carpal tunnel but the test does not show anything going on with my feet going numb. He said to schedule a follow up appt to go over all of my test results. I can't get in for 3 MORE WEEKS!! I am so mad!! Why couldn't he just take 5-10 more minutes to go over everything today?! Now i don't know what to do... any suggestions? Anyone else having numbness in their feet too and also have carpal tunnel? I just want to get to the bottom of this! Thanks.

Sherri,

Be aware that EMG tests are not always accurate in diagnosing these type of problems. Lots of false negatives... meaning a problem exists but the test doesn't pick it up. The same mechanisms that can triger carpal tunnel syndrome can also trigger similar problems in the legs and feet. Tarsal tunnel syndrome is one of the more common neuropathies that affect the feet.

The next concern is whether or not your having one or more of these neuropathies is the result of some underlying condition. As you mentioned, they have already tested you for a few of the more common disorders. Reaching this kind of diagnosis if often long, frustrating and filled with years of progressive problems. Hopefully this is not the case with you. I was eventually diagnosed with Lupus after many, many of these nerve problems.

Positive tests or negative tests... don't fret too much. The course of treatment means doing the best they can to resolve the various symptoms resulting from each problem. Treatment can often involve a lot of different options which may be why your doctor wanted to discuss things in more detail when he had more time to work with you. It will also give him a chance to pull all of your recent records and reports together and make sure nothing is being missed.

Good luck,
    Kaylbe

Closed Thread