It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• Need Help With Pain And Numbness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
    ahaney

ahaney HB User
    Need Help With Pain And Numbness

I have ct in both hands, right side the worst. I can't sleep at nite due to pain and numbness. I try to get to sleep before the numbness but that seems impossible. I wake up to no feeling in the right arm--then the pain starts. I spend most of the nite trying to stop this. I have put up with this for months--seems to be getting worse!!! I do go numb during the day when i over use my hands. Driving long distance proves to be a challenge!! I there any relief to nite time pain. I dread going to bed!!! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Cool Re: Need Help With Pain And Numbness

Do you wear splints to stop your wrists bending, while you're in bed? You might find that they help. How about some ibuprofen before you go to bed? It's a good otc painkiller/anti-inflammatory for cts.

Do you have a neurologist or hand surgeon? I'd be going for surgery if it's as bad as you say.

Lidia

Old 02-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
    willow42

willow42 HB User
    Re: Need Help With Pain And Numbness

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahaney
    I have ct in both hands, right side the worst. I can't sleep at nite due to pain and numbness. I try to get to sleep before the numbness but that seems impossible. I wake up to no feeling in the right arm--then the pain starts. I spend most of the nite trying to stop this. I have put up with this for months--seems to be getting worse!!! I do go numb during the day when i over use my hands. Driving long distance proves to be a challenge!! I there any relief to nite time pain. I dread going to bed!!! Thanks
    I know CT surgery isn't for everyone...I had it 9 years ago-right hand only. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with that hand since. (I'm right handed) My left hand still ocasionally wakes me up at night, but mainly when I over-use it. It's incredible to get a full night sleep & not go through that torture every day. Hope everything works out O.K.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #4
    ahaney

ahaney HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lidiajamjar
    Do you wear splints to stop your wrists bending, while you're in bed? You might find that they help. How about some ibuprofen before you go to bed? It's a good otc painkiller/anti-inflammatory for cts.

Do you have a neurologist or hand surgeon? I'd be going for surgery if it's as bad as you say.

Lidia
    I do have a splint but don't use in for bed. Will try! I do take IBuprofen for pain. Had the test done--but refused operation 6 years ago--it is just getting worse. Got CT in both arms--right one is worse, so far!! Thanks for the help, I will start taking the profen just before I go to bed & use the splint.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
    CherFan

CherFan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahaney
    I to have CT in both hands, but worse on my left hand. It is very hard to sleep @ night when the severe pain comes. It feels like a sharp stabbing pain that is unbearable. I to spend some of the nights trying to stop it, but it keeps me up at times to. I've had this for quite a few years, but I will not get surgery on my hands. Driving to, my left hand starts to fall asleep and my fingers start turning numb. I can't stand having CT...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Married~~June 14, 2002

TTC

Best of luck to all,
    C

Old 02-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Cool Re: Need Help With Pain And Numbness

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CherFan
    I to have CT in both hands, but worse on my left hand. It is very hard to sleep @ night when the severe pain comes. It feels like a sharp stabbing pain that is unbearable. I to spend some of the nights trying to stop it, but it keeps me up at times to. I've had this for quite a few years, but I will not get surgery on my hands. Driving to, my left hand starts to fall asleep and my fingers start turning numb. I can't stand having CT...
    CherFan
    Why won't you get surgery on your hands? It's such a small operation, you don't even need a general anaesthetic & it helps hundreds of thousands of people every year! I had mine done whilst listening to music & can honestly say it's far from the worst thing I've ever had done to me!

If you leave CTS for too long you can end up with nerve damage which can't be reversed, even with surgery. If you're experiencing pain which is 'unbearable' surely you should do something about it don't you think?

Lidia

Old 02-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
    CherFan

CherFan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lidiajamjar
    CherFan
    Why won't you get surgery on your hands? It's such a small operation, you don't even need a general anaesthetic & it helps hundreds of thousands of people every year! I had mine done whilst listening to music & can honestly say it's far from the worst thing I've ever had done to me!

If you leave CTS for too long you can end up with nerve damage which can't be reversed, even with surgery. If you're experiencing pain which is 'unbearable' surely you should do something about it don't you think?

Lidia
    Hi Lidia

I have thought of surgery, but I do not want to have it. I don't like the thought of being in a hospital in surgery. I can survive the pain. It only happens once in a while. Now, if it happened all the time, then I would think twice.

Married~~June 14, 2002

TTC

Best of luck to all,
    C

Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Unfortunately CTS only gets worse and not better as a rule. Success of surgery depends on how old you are, how long you have had it, your health in general. Many times the nerve gets flattened so much that it will not revive even after surgery.

Wearing splints at night will help. Often times we bend the wrist during sleep putting pressure on the nerve.

During the day wear a wrist band for support of wrist. The store bought ones leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. I made some using 4" wide elastic belting, 1 or 2 thicknesses depending on strength desired. Sew velcro across one end. Other end stitch fabric or leather across to make a pocket to slip a piece of "rebar" (metal strip) lightweight kind in and stitch closed. Stitch about 2" velcro lenghtwise from rebar. Bend rebar slightly to curve same as heel of hand for comfort. If too scratchy, cover with a sock top. I slipped the socktop over elastic before adding velcro and caught sock in seam with the rebar pocket. The ribbed type sock tops stay snug to the elastic. Wear band during the day across bend of wrist. When need to use hands for wet things, just take off and then put back on. Your hands are basically available to use, not covered up except part of heel of hand. Rebar available at some hardware stores or building supply stores.

Do not use the computer by resting heel of hands on desk top or PC. Hold wrists straight and dip fingers down to strike keys like old fashion typists

Thyroid problems may cause CTS also, be sure and have thyroid checked.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
    Janni
    (female)

Janni HB User

I have it in my right hand, and this time last year I was even talking with DR about surgery, but decided to wait. I think it is worse in the winter. Keeping my hands warm, wearing gloves helps. I wear a brace at night to sleep, most nights. Sometimes its hard to find the brace thatworks best for you, and some of them are so stiff and scratchy. I cut up an old pair of socks, and wear the long cuff under the brace, and put another cuff over it to keep the outside from scratching me. I also take Celebrex for arthritis, and most nights take a couple of extra strength generic tylenol before going to bed. Be careful how much tylenol you take if you drink any alcohol at all--the combination is bad for the liver.

Closed Thread