It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• Carpal Tunnel & Wrist brace

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #1
    Evileyes820

Evileyes820 HB User
    Unhappy Carpal Tunnel & Wrist brace

I have just been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel and my Dr. wants me to wear wrist braces for the next month for 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week....has this method helped anyone? He said if it doesnt help then I will have surgery. I feel this might ease the pain and discomfort but I dont see how this will fix whats going on in my wrists.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Carpal Tunnel & Wrist brace

A wrist "brace" (not Ace band) will keep wrist from bending. This will allow the nerve to have time to heal or become less inflammed.

Sometimes thyroid problems cause CTS. Have you had your thyroid checked?

I used braces at night and it really helped, but my wrists were so far gone I did have to have surgery.

Best to avoid surgery if possible. It is not a 100% guarantee to fix it. I have more use of my hands but they still bother me when over used.

Old 03-13-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
    jokehakk

jokehakk HB User

hello, i use to wear braces at night, i felt they really didn't help. i have 2 soft and 2 hard braces. avoid surgery at all cost, not 100% fix. make sure your doctor does a emg/ncs first with needles.to be sure the emg is correct there is a test that's called SSEP and that verify's the EMG is correct. sometimes there are more nerve problems than meets the eye. 2 good reads-the carpal tunnel helpbook and light at the end of the carpal tunnel-both by dr. scott fried. these books tell you everything. also I'm not sure what your job is but even wearing braces and continueing a reptive job will not let your wrist heal. Also ask your doctor about occupational therapy. this helps a great deal. parifin machines are great too. hope this helps. i don't wear my braces anymore.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
    Evileyes820

Evileyes820 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marie55
    A wrist "brace" (not Ace band) will keep wrist from bending. This will allow the nerve to have time to heal or become less inflammed.

Sometimes thyroid problems cause CTS. Have you had your thyroid checked?

I used braces at night and it really helped, but my wrists were so far gone I did have to have surgery.

Best to avoid surgery if possible. It is not a 100% guarantee to fix it. I have more use of my hands but they still bother me when over used.
    Yes, I was diagnosed with thyroid disease about 5 months ago.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
    Evileyes820

Evileyes820 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jokehakk
    hello, i use to wear braces at night, i felt they really didn't help. i have 2 soft and 2 hard braces. avoid surgery at all cost, not 100% fix. make sure your doctor does a emg/ncs first with needles.to be sure the emg is correct there is a test that's called SSEP and that verify's the EMG is correct. sometimes there are more nerve problems than meets the eye. 2 good reads-the carpal tunnel helpbook and light at the end of the carpal tunnel-both by dr. scott fried. these books tell you everything. also I'm not sure what your job is but even wearing braces and continueing a reptive job will not let your wrist heal. Also ask your doctor about occupational therapy. this helps a great deal. parifin machines are great too. hope this helps. i don't wear my braces anymore.
    I had a EMG done and confirmed my carpal tunnel. Im not really a fan of therapy, been thru it with other things and know other people thats been thru therapy and it never seems to help.

Closed Thread