It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• has anyone had CT surgery that didn't help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
    Michele B

Michele B HB User
    has anyone had CT surgery that didn't help?

Hello. I've had chronic right wrist, hand, arm, shoulder, neck, jaw pain/tingling for ten years now. It's ruined my life. I have no life because of it. I had the carpal tunnel surgery on both hands in 1997, but it did not help any of my symptoms. I'm still in the same pain as I was before the surgery. I've been to a countless number of doctors for all of my symptoms and have had several emg's, nvc's, mri's, etc. Neck MRIs show a mild disk protrusion between C5-C6 and one nerve test a few years back showed mild carpal tunnel still, yet my latest nerve test was normal. The only thing that does not aggravate my symptoms is simply not using my right hand/arm. (And I'm right-handed too!). I'm trying to learn to do everything left-handed now.
    Anyone have no relief from carpal tunnel surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
    shelly49

shelly49 HB User
    Re: has anyone had CT surgery that didn't help?

I had absolutely NO relief from my surgery. I have CTS in both hands, and now also have arthritis in at least my right hand as well (that one is the most painful and the only one I had xrayed for arthritis so far). I can't say I regret the surgery because I was in SO much pain, I had to take the risk that it might work. Unfortunately, it did not.

Sheila

Old 04-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
    Michele B

Michele B HB User

Hi Sheila,
    Thanks for the response. What do you take or do for the pain now since surgery didn't help?
    Michele

Old 04-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
    zoron

zoron HB User

Michelle and Shelly,

Maybe you should try accupuncture. My best wishes.

Last edited by zoron; 04-27-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

i most recently had my CTS on my left wrist/hand....am in a lot of pain , new pain....it just doesn't tingle or wake me up. It has been 4 weeks now and i still have a lot of pain., I also have 4 kids to take care of and am or should i say "was" left-handed. Wonder what the next step will be????
    Lisa

Old 05-03-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
    malayeka

malayeka HB User

hi ,i came to see all messages of ct and wow i am happy i am not alone ,i am 31 year old mother of 4 ,oldest being 13 years old with cerable palsy ,my job cannot stop as much as my hands need it.
    1 year ago i did have endoscopic sugery done on both hands and i continued pain and weekness ,dr would tap wrist and i jerk wanting to hit him but he was shocked just saying well give it time ,now over 1 yr has past,not so much tingling but just pain,spasms ,cant write for more than 1 min or my thumb musles cramp up ,cant cook or clean and somedays cant even open a door.now problem in arms also so debating if i really wanna deal with the pain or other operations ,who knows mabe i stick to running my hands under hot water for time being lol.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
    akayp63

akayp63 HB User

Hi malayeka, I have never heard of CT surgery not helping. There must be something else wrong. get another opinion. my suregon also checked my ulna nerve in the elbows. that might be your problem. I hope this helps you out.
    Ann

Old 05-03-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I had one cts on the right hand in 2001 which has returned, in May of 2003 had it on the left along with ulnar nerve decompression, total botched 4 hr surgery ended up with RSD in the left and still going to physical therapy after a year. Now have osteoarthritis in both hands greater in the left, prior to any surgeries I had no signs of arthritis there just the neck and feet, so go figure. I'm in worse shape than prior to surgeries, I use my hands for simple things like washing a plate and they will cramp up on me after a couple dishes, can't do gardening anymore and I was just getting into it back in 2000, had to leave my 20 yr job in 2000 cuz I couldn't type more than 10 minutes at a time and it required non stop 8 hr typing to be complete. My middle and ring finger still feel like sausages that are prickly and zapping electricl shocks all the time., I have ulnar nerve palsy both hands I type with my right hand mostly cuz hitting the keys with those fingers drive me crazy. Tried everything from biofeed back acupuncture, nutritional etc etc so I'll just deal with it and the physical therapy.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
    malayeka

malayeka HB User

thanks ,yes ive done research myself ,when i was diagnosed with carpel tunnel my right thumb musle was signs of atrophy ,but took 8 months to have actual surgery,did see therapist last year and my strength then was 31 ...but is much worse these days. she suspected ulnar nerve and possible tos(thorisic outlet syndrom)but dr says just hands..all i know is in time total use will be goe its happending so rapidly but just relocated and hoping to see new dr all togather mabe they be better and listen to me.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
    zoron

zoron HB User

Just a curious question...

But, I heard that some people who had CTS or Ulnar Nerve surgery may experience temporary relief, but that the symptoms may come back years down the road. How true is that?

Old 05-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #11
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisaaahubb
    i most recently had my CTS on my left wrist/hand....am in a lot of pain , new pain....it just doesn't tingle or wake me up. It has been 4 weeks now and i still have a lot of pain., I also have 4 kids to take care of and am or should i say "was" left-handed. Wonder what the next step will be????
    Lisa
    lisa there are alot of people on the addiction and recovery board that are worried about you just letting you know kelleigh

Old 05-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Always possible, some people do not get the relief hoped for and frequently it is only a temporary fix. CT is a form of arthritis. Some people have a progressive form of CT and ulnar, I do after 7 surgeries they are not any better and far worse than before. Like any disease some are more sensitive to it than others.

Closed Thread