It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• Anyone have twitching or burning with CTS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
    tacoshooter

tacoshooter HB User
    Anyone have twitching or burning with CTS?

In early September, my thumb and index finger started to get a faint numb, tingly feeling. I didn't really pay much attention to it, but then about a week later I started to get a persistent, occasional twitch (fasciculation) in the muscle between my thumb and index finger. This was accompanied with some occasional minor pain radiating from my elbow to my fingers.

I went to see the clinic in town and the doctor hit my wrist with the reflex hammer and based on the tingling in my fingers said that I probably had early carpal tunnel. His course of action were NSAIDS and rest (easier said than done -- I work with computers) and to not worry about the fasciculations.

Of course I immediately Googled the fasciculations and freaked out about motor neuron disease, but that's another story.

Anyway, the twitching lasted for a couple of weeks and seems to now have quit -- in any case, I haven't had any twitching for the past couple of weeks. I went to see a neurologist shortly before it stopped and while he seemed relatively unconcerned about the fasciculations he suggested an EMG and an MRI which I chose to hold off on.

I'm slowly working back to normal activities, although my hand does feel odd sometimes. I haven't had much in the way of tingling or numbness but I've picked up a new symptom; a burning sensation from my wrist to my palm along the outside of my thumb muscle. It usually occurs after the end of the day when I've had heavy mouse use.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I'm very much interested in if anyone has experienced fasciculations (twitches) in tandem with a carpal tunnel diagnosis. If so, did they leave or did they continue to flare?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Cool Re: Anyone have twitching or burning with CTS?

Hi Tacoshooter
    I've had surgery for CTS, I also have CuTS & I get twitches in my fingers. Your doctors are right, the twitches are nothing to worry about. They're a bit like when you get one of those twitches in your eyelid. Drives you crazy for a few days then vanishes. Comes back periodically then goes again. The cause of those can be anything from stress to too much caffeine!

Why did you turn down the nerve conduction studies? They would possibly have given you some answers. Certainly sounds like your problems are due to one of the 'overuse' type problems.

Have you got your workstation well set out? Do you use a wrist rest for your mouse hand, with your whole forearm on the desk & wrist level with the mouse?

Lidia

Old 10-29-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
    Gianna2

Gianna2 HB User
    Re: Anyone have twitching or burning with CTS?

I don't recall twitching, but I do remember numbing, tingling, pain and the burning sensation from wrist to palm. The pain was horrendous after heavy mouse usage. But, of course, no one at work would believe me, that is, not until after I had the surgery and they could actually see a scar. Another story another time.

The nerve conductor test showed negative on me, but when I had surgery, my nerve was almost completed flattened. I know of another case with a woman at work havnig the same test just 1 day before surgery and it was negative. However, during the surgery, the doctor discovered that she had the worst case of CT that he had ever seen. So that test is not a reliable source.

Try using a different type of mouse. I liked the Kensington track ball mouse. Had a large ball which I could use different fingers to move it with and use larger arm motions instead of just hand and wrist. Make sure your computer area is set up properly from chair, computer and desk height, to position of mouse. And, please be sure that while you are typing you are not rubbing your wrist on a keyboard or mouse rests. Rests are for when your hands are not moving!!!!! Not to be leaned on when typing or mousing.

Good luck to you.

Gianna

Closed Thread