It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• Ulnar Nerve opperation Failed anyone else???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
    Nigelz
    (male)

Nigelz HB User
    Ulnar Nerve opperation Failed anyone else???

Hi Everyone,

its now been 8 months since my opp "ulnar nerve release" but the numbness in my little finger has got no better and my muscle is still wasted so they sent me back for more nerve test on my arm and it says the opperation never worked, its all still the same, and last week my surgen said he thinks my nerve had already partly died off and no new opperation will work, has this happen to anyone else? and what future can i look forward to with this

I have noticeable wasted muscle in my hand and i can feel lost of muscle in my forearm, I have just taken up learning to play the guitar hoping that might help built my muscle in my left hand but I notice my right arm goes numbness after playing for 10 minutes could I also have problems in this arm now as well?

Regards Nigel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Ulnar Nerve opperation Failed anyone else???

Just wondering if the CP Dx was actual or a guess by your doc?did he happen to actually do any MRIs on your c spine before actually giving you that CT Dx?there are alot of people out there who have actual c spine problems that can cause the almost the same exact symptoms as having carpal tunnel.The ulnar nerve runs from the lower part of the c spine and then on down thru the hand.the fact that you still have numbness could mean that either the damage was much further up and stemming from the c spine and is of course still there and compressing the nerve or the nerve has been compressed for so long from actual carpal tunnel that it actually died off and you will never get that innervation or muscle tone back.Were you or arew you still having any neck problems at any time?This needs to be reevaluated by a new doc or reexplored with your current one.I personally would opt for the a new doc,preferrably agood neurosurgeon.and getting the c spine MRI would really tell you alot about just how the nerves all look from the inside.

i have alot of loss of the intrinsic muscles in my L hand due to ulnar and medain nerve damage that was all from c spine damage done during a surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord.the ulnar,which if I remember right IS actually the c 8 nerve?you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae but you do have a c 8 nerve.the ulnar actually innervates many tiny muscles in the hand and the wrist area which if damaged will show by loss of some fine motor function in the affected arm/wrist/hand areas,and subsequent muscle atrphy.i have alot of atrophy in many seperate areas in my L hand now.This does not show itself right away but only after time passes and you actually see the result of the muscle/nevre loss show up as the muscle starts to wither from non use.

I really would reccomend to anyone who is considering any carpal tunnel surgery to at the very least,possibly get a mari done on the c spine to make darn sure that this IS indeed carpal tunnel and not a problem that is actually being caused by nerve compression up in the lower c spine area.there are just so many risks involved with any actual surgery and when you are dealing with something like one of your hands,you want to make darn sure that the upcomming suregry is really what is actually needed before letting any surgeon actully cut into you.Every surgery i have had has resulted in some sort of a nevre injury,the last one was a biggie but some of that nerve amage was expected as he had to actually go thru two nerves(the ones that went to the fine motor in my hands and the one that went to my legs0while both areas did have damage,there were alot of other things that went along for the ride.just always mke darn sure that any surgery is actually needed before consenting to anything.good luck,and let me know how things are going.**

Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
    Nigelz
    (male)

Nigelz HB User

I had a nerve conduction test done on both hands and arms, but in say that I have had also had constant numbness in both foot feet at the base of my bigger toes for the last 3 years as well, more so in my left feet but when I have said to my GP about them they just say its due to my diabetes but as you say may be its all due to a spine problem, I will have to say to my GP next time I see him

Regards Nigel

Old 01-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
    ann203

ann203 HB User

Hi Nigel, I had a cubital tunnel release in November 2004. It seemed okay at first, but by Dec 26th the numbness was back and is still with me now. I also have terrible nagging pains in my elbow which keeps me awake at night. I am due to have a second operation any day now. I have to go into hospital for a couple of hours tomorrow morning for some pre-op checks and hopefully I will have my op within the next week or two. I am having an anterior transposition of the ulnar nerve. I can't see why your Doctor says another operation wouldn't help you because as far as I know, the first op that we had has a high failure rate and that nearly everyone goes on to have a transposition, which is where the whole nerve is released and moved to the other side of the arm. Ask your Doctor why you haven't been offered this treatment. Good luck, Ann.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
    Nigelz
    (male)

Nigelz HB User

Hi Ann,

How did your second opp go ( anterior transposition ) was that better than your first? I have left it a few weeks to give your arm chance to rest first hope it all went well

Regards Nigel

Last edited by Nigelz; 03-24-2006 at 01:50 AM.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:48 AM   #6
    ann203

ann203 HB User
    Question Re: Ulnar Nerve opperation Failed anyone else???

Hello Nigel, thanks for your message. I had the second op (a subcutaneous anterior transposition) on 21 February and I am still in a lot of pain. Thanks to a **** up at the hospital I still have not started physio which I think adds to the pain as everything is so stiff. I still have the numbness and tingling in my fingers but the awful ache I used to get at the elbow has gone. I think it's too early to say anything else really. Only that, if I could go back and have the choice again, then I think I would NOT have this op. I had no idea how painful it was, or that the pain would go on for so long. I still have every faith that things will settle down though once I start the physio treatment. I'll let you know how it goes. Please keep in touch and I'll let you know how things go from here, take care now, Ann.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
    Nigelz
    (male)

Nigelz HB User

Thanks for your reply Ann, my surgen said he would see me in 6 months time to see if I want to go ahead with this opp and the first one didn't work, but he did say he personally feels I would be wasting my time as the first opp all went well and nver fixed it so he don't really hold any hope for this opp, and on top of that he said this is a more tickier opp and may end up making it worst not better but it was up to me.

on top of all that it feels now I may be having the same sort of problem in my other arm, do you know if this is commom to have it in both arms over a 3 year time scale?

Anyway good luck with it and all I hope it all works out ok for ya

Best wishes Nigel

Closed Thread