It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• carpal tunnel and weight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
    amg250
    (female)

amg250 HB User
    carpal tunnel and weight

Does anyone know if a significant gain in weight can bring on cts? I have slowly developed nighttime numbness in both hands over the past 8 years or so. My doctor says I have slight carpal tunnel. I have also gained about 70 pounds during that time. I'm thinking maybe the extra fat in my arms is compressing the nerves. My doctor didn't think so. I'm wondering if anyone has gained or lost a significant amount of weight and saw an effect on their carpal tunnel. So far, I just have the tingling. No wrist pain, but my right middle finger is stiff. I am going to try to eliminate the cts by losing as much weight as possible. Has anyone else done so?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
    Re: carpal tunnel and weight

Amg,
    I had my second child 20 years ago and my cts came on about 6 years ago. However, I do think weight has something to do with it. Pregnancy does too. Repetitive actions like typing, sewing, even gardening will cause cts. Also, the amount of space you inherit in your wrists have something to do with it.
    -Jo

Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
    caza
    (female)

caza HB User
    Re: carpal tunnel and weight

hi i have cts in both hands it came on half way through my second pregnancy i had put on six stone and at nine months seven stone docs said after the birth it would go my son is now six and i still have it i lost all the weight and more it made no differance i wear splints all the time no ops for me caza

Closed Thread