It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• carpal tunnel help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
    lisanmaria
    (female)

lisanmaria HB User
    Angry carpal tunnel help needed as soon as possible please

hi please could you help , i went to hospital to have carpal tunnel surgery back in april well it was ment to be carpal tunnel surgery but the surgeon gave me trigger finger surgery instead which is wrong he was rushing and basically now im having alot of problems my hand is swollen sore tender to the touch and it dont look the proper colour it should be i went to the hospital friday just gone and a diffrent consultant said that he dont really want me to have carpal tunnel surgery now because that may cause more problems even thou i have got carpal tunnel syndrome anyway please could u advice me on what to do because im so confused please help.....what should i do because at this moment in time i just want to loose my hand n i dont know weather or not to have the carpal tunnel surgery due to what the doc said about it making things worse because at the moment im taking painkillers plus morphine and they dont work
    i have been wearing a splint daily and tried physiotheropy but they dont help at all
    since the operation the surgeon who done the operation on me as left the hospital and gone somewhere else but he as made a few other mistakes on people
    from lisanmaria

Last edited by lisanmaria; 10-12-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
    Re: carpal tunnel help

I think you need a second professional opinion. We are here to support you and tell you our experiences and try to give advice. In your case, since a doctor said you shouldn't have surgery, you need to find out why he said that. Maybe once some more time has gone by you might be able to have the surgery and it will be a success. Maybe you should try another medical center altogether so they can be honest with you and won't be worried about you bringing about a lawsuit against them and the doctor who messed up.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #3
    lisanmaria
    (female)

lisanmaria HB User

hi jo
    i went to the hospital friday to see the surgeon and ive never been so insulted in my life i taped the conversation on my mobile between me, maria and the surgeon
    he as told me i now have something called crps which is Complex regional pain syndrome
    he wont operate on my hand and even admitted that since the trigger finger operation i had it is worse now
    i had physio therepy before but the woman who gave me that said it needed operating on as its not at all right i told that to mr sinha today and he said shes not qualified to give u that advice but i told him that it was just her opinion and as soon i said that he seemed to change the subject
    i gave him the letter from the doctor as soon as he took it out the envelope he said i cant read that writting and just took a glance at it n put it on the shelf
    he said his going to see me again in 6 months being honest it seems to both me and my partner like his sticking up for dr machani and basically i did burst into tears as im in so much pain with my hand he didnt care he told me his going to put me into pain management where they give u tablets i told him the morphine n pain killers not working and he didnt say anything
    i just need to get this hand sorted i really do as im in severe pain and not sleeping good at all

Old 10-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lisa,
    I've never heard of complex regional pain syndrome. I wonder if it's anything like repetitive strain injury. I see that you're in the UK. My SIL"s sister lives in London and so I've had some insight into your health system over there. My SIL's sister waits until she comes back here at Christmas for all of her dental work. She says they don't show pharmaceutal advertisements on tv because they don't want people to rush to the doctors to have all their complaints taken care of. Back to the matter at hand. I hope you find relief in the coming 6 months. All I can say is try not to hold or carry anything heavy. Try to relax your arms as much as possible. Sit up straight. I did find several sites online about posture and cts. I'm experimenting with seeing if I feel better on days where posture is foremost in my mind. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
    lisanmaria
    (female)

lisanmaria HB User

hi jo heres a bit about crps belieIf hell was a medical condition, it might look something like Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, a respected physician noted (Moskowitz and Lang, 2003). Few people can imagine an injury becoming more painful as time passes; a sprained ankle which should heal within a month swelling to the size of a knee or a hand being ice cold and turning purple. But that is what happens with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome or CRPS (Type I), previously known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The disorder effects at least one in 100,000 Americans, but due to miss-diagnosis and poor awareness of the disorder, it is possible that the disorder affects many more (Moskowitz and Lang, 2003). The syndrome is characterized by burning pain, which is considered to be disproportionate to the initial injury. And although CRPS is considered a rare disorder, it is possible that up to 20% of Americans have some form of chronic pain. Because chronic pain affects so many people, it is important to understand CRPS and chronic pain in general. CRPS will be explained through the use of scientific and clinical data and hypotheses, and the language of chronic pain will be explored to more fully understand both the scientific and societal influences and implication for people with CRPS.

CRPS has many officially recognized symptoms and some symptoms that are not recognized officially, but that many CRPS patients describe. The symptom that all physicians who treat this condition recognize though is intense burning pain. Patients frequently experience color changes, excessive swelling (edema), and changes in hair and nail growth of the affected limb. Patients complain of struggling with movement of the effected limb, excessive sweating and muscle spasms. Researchers have found movement disorders and "neglect like" symptoms, in which the limb with CRPS feels foreign to the patient (Galer and Jensen, 1999). These symptoms are generally used to diagnose CRPS, but again, the largest symptom is pain "disproportionate to the inciting trauma".
    ve me its very painful

the thing i dont understand about the condition i have thou is that i have carpal tunnel syndrome on the top and the surgeon wont even operate on it to put the carpal tunnel right i have asked 2 surgeons about operatin on the cts but the answers are always the same NO
    i have really been thinkin of askin my gp about amputation because i dont really want to go through this for the rest of my life its painful 24 hours a day 7 days a week

kind regards

lisa

Old 10-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lisa,
    Amputation is not the answer. You would be trading one set of problems for another. I did do some reading up on complex regional pain and you're right on the symptoms. I wish I could help you, but everything I have is cts related. I will pray for you.
    --Joanne

Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
    lisanmaria
    (female)

lisanmaria HB User

hi jo thanx for the reply
    ive got to wait till i hear from the hospital now for physio and pain management
    kind regards
    lisa

Closed Thread