It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

  • Cost and other comments/questions

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: PA
    Posts: 472
    comeonnow HB User
    Cost and other comments/questions

    I've been having problems with my arm/wrist for about half a year. Tried the splints with no luck. Nor with advil, motrin, etc. Was to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and said we have NO insurance whatsoever, so instead of doing an EMG, which my husband and I figured was too much to afford, I got a cortisone shot in each wrist. The doctor said now it's up to me to let them know if it makes a difference for me. If it does, then he will know that CTS is the problem and he will do an operation.

    That brings me to another problem. The cost, since no insurance company is there in the wings waiting to pick up the tab. When the physician's assistant mentioned the cost of the operation, it about floored me. Somehow I had gotten the impression from someone somewhere before yesterday that this is a fairly simple operation and it doesn't take real long, yet at my appointment I was told that the operation would cost $15,000...AND THAT'S FOR EACH HAND! OMG, you gotta be kidding me!!! $30,000 total? Does it REALLY cost that much? I'd honestly like some feedback on this about the cost. I think I was in so much shock that I was speechless and completely didn't even think to ask what are my options, like as far as alternatives from this point on if I don't have the operation, like if I don't have it if I'd continually have worse and worse problems and pain with my hands and arms...and then what if I do??

    That orthopedic consult just blew me away. My family physician had referred me to the orthopedic surgeon, mentioning that he didn't know that much about it himself but felt that a cortisone shot would give me relief (my doctor had said that to me a couple months ago. I guess I should have asked my doctor how much relief and for how long. I think I got it in my head that this was an alternative to surgery, which isn't at all the information I got from my appointment with the surgeon yesterday. Since the surgeon said the benefits of the shot (in each wrist yesterday) might not even last more than couple weeks or months, I'm left wondering if living with this indefinitely is an option since I'm not putting us $30,000 in debt and having that hanging over our heads the rest of our lives. I'm now 52 and can imagine that we'd be paying on this forever, seriously.

    Oh, another thing...I mentioned where the pain seems to bother me a lot, which is down the whole length of my forearm and hurts the most at my elbow. I had thought that was a symptom of the CTS until the surgeon and physician's assistant said it sounded like something else (can't remember now what they said, but I think it was Ulna or Ulnar something). Then I was told that that would be another surgery, which is even more extensive. I didn't even ask the cost of THAT! I think I'd have to learn to live with that pain. I just really don't know what to do at this point. How I wish DH hadn't lost his job and insurance (no fault of his own) a few years ago! That would have given me more options.

    I would appreciate any comments, personal experiences, insight, etc. Right now I'm in a funk about all this.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: USA
    Posts: 1,201
    BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    Wow, i had no idea of the cost for the surgery. i have cps in both and have insurance but no way can i have the surgery simply due to doctor said having the surgery , does not mean cps won't return. i had the nerve conduction test which was $3100.00 . i hope you get more replies here for your questions. Surgeries are expensive, i will continue wearing the splints and arm sleeve since i was told carpal tunnel can return.
    Thanks for sharing your info, i had no idea of the cost.

    BeHappy2

     
    Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: PA
    Posts: 472
    comeonnow HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
    Wow, i had no idea of the cost for the surgery. i have cps in both and have insurance but no way can i have the surgery simply due to doctor said having the surgery , does not mean cps won't return. i had the nerve conduction test which was $3100.00 . i hope you get more replies here for your questions. Surgeries are expensive, i will continue wearing the splints and arm sleeve since i was told carpal tunnel can return.
    Thanks for sharing your info, i had no idea of the cost.

    BeHappy2
    I guess you and I both had no idea of the cost of the surgery. That about floored me when I was told how much it costs. Medical costs are just so outrageously high that I don't even see how anyone without insurance (and who also isn't on medical assistance) can afford such an unreasonably high price. I guess I will have to do the same and wear the splints even though I feel like they aren't doing much for me. Some days my arms hurt so bad that I can barely stand it. I'm not looking forward to the future in lots of ways. Yes, I hope that someone else will be able to answer our questions.

     
    Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
    MarciaBrdy
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    MarciaBrdy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Houston, Tx. USA
    Posts: 19
    MarciaBrdy HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    I go in tomorrow for one hand and my co-pay is 10% of ALL costs--so I will let you know. They only thing they said was the anesthesia was 500 and some dollars. The cost of the facilities was $1,928-nogotiated rate through ins. was 445. The nerve test on both hands was $1710.00 but ins. negotiated it to 604.00 and I paid $25.00 for that. So without that negotiation with ins. its VERY high. Even if you had to pay out of pocket the full negotiated amount it could bring you down fast. By the way these costs are in Houston, Tx. Hopefully will let you know tomorrow what we paid out in all.

     
    Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
    MarciaBrdy
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    MarciaBrdy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Houston, Tx. USA
    Posts: 19
    MarciaBrdy HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    I just called the surgical center and the Dr. fee for the surgery is $1,928.00 which ins negotiated to 442. So Comeonnow I dont know where you are but those fees are OUTRAGEOUS. The facilities I dont have yet but will let you know.

     
    Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
    MarciaBrdy
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    MarciaBrdy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Houston, Tx. USA
    Posts: 19
    MarciaBrdy HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
    I guess you and I both had no idea of the cost of the surgery. That about floored me when I was told how much it costs. Medical costs are just so outrageously high that I don't even see how anyone without insurance (and who also isn't on medical assistance) can afford such an unreasonably high price. I guess I will have to do the same and wear the splints even though I feel like they aren't doing much for me. Some days my arms hurt so bad that I can barely stand it. I'm not looking forward to the future in lots of ways. Yes, I hope that someone else will be able to answer our questions.

    To add what I typed above--the facilities was 1,000. and I paid 100 which was my 10%.Once again I have to wait to see when the bill me because I am sure they will charge extra for like the sling they gave me, the 7-up afterwards etc... Dont know yet about that. But those were my big costs.Hope this helped.I had it early today and its fAST and I dont feel anything but a little sore.

     
    Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: PA
    Posts: 472
    comeonnow HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    Marcia, I hope everything is going well for you. I don't know if you'll get to read this. I've been off the boards for a long time. My computer avoidance has maybe helped my problem a little bit, but it was no miracle cure. I wanted to try it, but I think someday I'll have to have the surgery at some point.

    I was able through another agency to get an EMG done and I have mild CTS and mild Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. The last one actually bothers me more than the CTS. The Cubital TS makes my forearms and elbow ache all the time. Sometimes it feels like someone is holding a match to my elbow. I was surprised that the neurologist said that both syndromes are mild. I'd hate to imagine when they're severe. I've been wearing wrist splints and elbow splints at night, which is a real pain in the butt. They do help somewhat but no miracle there.

    I'm going to see a surgeon for a consult this month and I'll just go from there. We do have insurance that covers some things, but I have to find out if they'll cover these surgeries before I actually go through with any. With the pain from these two syndromes and also the pain from my degenerative disk disease, some days I could just bawl. I wish I'd be out of this pain.

     
    Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
    delphi6
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    delphi6's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: uk
    Posts: 5
    delphi6 HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
    I've been having problems with my arm/wrist for about half a year. Tried the splints with no luck. Nor with advil, motrin, etc. Was to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and said we have NO insurance whatsoever, so instead of doing an EMG, which my husband and I figured was too much to afford, I got a cortisone shot in each wrist. The doctor said now it's up to me to let them know if it makes a difference for me. If it does, then he will know that CTS is the problem and he will do an operation.

    That brings me to another problem. The cost, since no insurance company is there in the wings waiting to pick up the tab. When the physician's assistant mentioned the cost of the operation, it about floored me. Somehow I had gotten the impression from someone somewhere before yesterday that this is a fairly simple operation and it doesn't take real long, yet at my appointment I was told that the operation would cost $15,000...AND THAT'S FOR EACH HAND! OMG, you gotta be kidding me!!! $30,000 total? Does it REALLY cost that much? I'd honestly like some feedback on this about the cost. I think I was in so much shock that I was speechless and completely didn't even think to ask what are my options, like as far as alternatives from this point on if I don't have the operation, like if I don't have it if I'd continually have worse and worse problems and pain with my hands and arms...and then what if I do??

    That orthopedic consult just blew me away. My family physician had referred me to the orthopedic surgeon, mentioning that he didn't know that much about it himself but felt that a cortisone shot would give me relief (my doctor had said that to me a couple months ago. I guess I should have asked my doctor how much relief and for how long. I think I got it in my head that this was an alternative to surgery, which isn't at all the information I got from my appointment with the surgeon yesterday. Since the surgeon said the benefits of the shot (in each wrist yesterday) might not even last more than couple weeks or months, I'm left wondering if living with this indefinitely is an option since I'm not putting us $30,000 in debt and having that hanging over our heads the rest of our lives. I'm now 52 and can imagine that we'd be paying on this forever, seriously.

    Oh, another thing...I mentioned where the pain seems to bother me a lot, which is down the whole length of my forearm and hurts the most at my elbow. I had thought that was a symptom of the CTS until the surgeon and physician's assistant said it sounded like something else (can't remember now what they said, but I think it was Ulna or Ulnar something). Then I was told that that would be another surgery, which is even more extensive. I didn't even ask the cost of THAT! I think I'd have to learn to live with that pain. I just really don't know what to do at this point. How I wish DH hadn't lost his job and insurance (no fault of his own) a few years ago! That would have given me more options.

    I would appreciate any comments, personal experiences, insight, etc. Right now I'm in a funk about all this.

     
    Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
    delphi6
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    delphi6's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: uk
    Posts: 5
    delphi6 HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    in uk having operation next week at least its free on nh

     
    Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 614
    Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    It really depends on where you live. We live in the Carolinas now and my surgeon charges around $1800 for each hand. This does not include the anesthesia, the facility charge (location where he works) and any other fees such as the medicines, etc. An EMG was around $800 up in the Mid Atlantic area. My doc did 3 things. First he tried prednisone on me. Didn't work. He did a cortisone shot. Worked that day, cts was like it normally was the next day. Surgery was the only option. While it's been almost a year (this was a second surgery, known as carpal tunnel revision), I am still having minor issues, but I have feeling in my fingers. Which means my surgery was a success. I had scar tissue from the first operation which made a second operation necessary. Glad I had it done. We have a high deductible on our insurance so we did pay a lot out of pocket. But worth it. I wish this doctor had done my first surgery.

     
    Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
    beanerml
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    beanerml's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Posts: 1
    beanerml HB User
    Re: Cost and other comments/questions

    I had surgery for carpel tunnel and I have only master medical ie...I pay for elective surgery. I paid under $2000 for my surgery and within days I was PAIN FREE!! where do you live i'll be happy to refer you to a great doc!!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    cost of nissen fundoplication mishka87 Acid Reflux / GERD 0 04-18-2010 08:00 PM
    Cost of DBS/STN surgery Bruce Parkinson's Disease 12 03-23-2009 03:35 PM
    RSD Specialists in Connecticut?/Newcomer and other info. needed...THANKS!!! tattoogirl Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) 11 09-13-2008 06:04 PM
    Bipolar Disorder + Borderline; Treating BD without meds; other newbie questions. animalari Bipolar Disorder 7 11-02-2007 07:16 PM
    Dental Cost...What To Do??? PCKnOC Dental Health 12 05-01-2007 08:13 PM
    Chantix cost and insurance questions yvette777 Smoking Cessation 12 03-26-2007 03:20 PM
    Thoughts of my husband & other women Smartcookie Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 542 02-04-2006 05:54 PM
    Please help with Igenex results and other questions PatioGazer Lyme Disease 3 11-01-2004 04:39 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 PM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!