It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• what should i expect during and after surgery for cts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
    Kat1982
    (female)

Kat1982 HB User
    Smile what should i expect during and after surgery for cts?

Hello,

I will be having Carpal Tunnel release surgery on both hands and de quervain's release on my left hand (I am right handed). I am fairly young and have never had surgery except for one minor surgery for a kidney stone. I had a bad experience with the surgery for the kidney stone so I am pretty nervous for this one... I like to do my research and really know what will be done to my body (since this is my body and I would like it to last as long as possible). My doctor will be doing my left hand first followed by my right a week later.

That being said, I would really like to know what to expect during and after surgery. What should I expect pain wise, what is recovery time like, and how long will it take to recover completely?

Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated... I want to know everything about the surgery and recovery before I go through it so I am prepared!!!

Thanks,
    Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
    Kat1982
    (female)

Kat1982 HB User
    Re: what should i expect during and after surgery for cts?

Hello,

I have not received any responses yet, does anyone have any advice or information to offer?

Just got my appointment for surgery at the end of the month, want to make sure I am prepared!

Kat

Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
    ocgirl
    (female)

ocgirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kat1982 View Post
    Hello,

I will be having Carpal Tunnel release surgery on both hands and de quervain's release on my left hand (I am right handed). I am fairly young and have never had surgery except for one minor surgery for a kidney stone. I had a bad experience with the surgery for the kidney stone so I am pretty nervous for this one... I like to do my research and really know what will be done to my body (since this is my body and I would like it to last as long as possible). My doctor will be doing my left hand first followed by my right a week later.

That being said, I would really like to know what to expect during and after surgery. What should I expect pain wise, what is recovery time like, and how long will it take to recover completely?

Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated... I want to know everything about the surgery and recovery before I go through it so I am prepared!!!

Thanks,
    Kat
    Hi Kat,

I have had ctr on both hands. May 20th (right) and July 2nd (left). Getting my stitches out tomorrow on the left. Unfortunately most of the people you meet on healthboards that have had surgery already are also having complications (that is why they are here) So many of the stories that you might be reading are misleading. People with smooth surgeries usually don't post anything. Most I personally know (including my parents) have had smooth surgeries.

Both my surgeries were technically successful and I would have both hands done again. With that being said my carpal tunnel was advanced so I have some lingering numbness in my fingers, especially in my right hand. Nerves take a long to heal sometimes. All my night symptoms and pain from carpal tunnel is gone. I still have some minor surgical pain.... but it is minor and doesn't compare to the pain of carpal tunnel.

Most people who have surgery have their carpal tunnel symtoms gone immediately and heal very well. Most common issues after are weakness and lack of grip strength, sensitivity near the incision. I had all of those after sugery. Continued numbness like I have is not very common.

I am concerned you are having your surgeries so close together. Make sure you have help becuz you will need it. You be shocked at how many activities require 2 hands. My doctor said he won't do both hands together unless someone has help/caretaker that will help them wipe! He was joking but he was right. It still hurts a little to wipe with my right hand it has been 8 wks. It would have been impossible a week after surgery. Pain after surgery was not bad at all. You will get pain meds but after the 1st or 2nd day I bet you will only need motrin.

Hope that helps and good luck! Keep me posted!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
    ocgirl
    (female)

ocgirl HB User

Opps forgot to tell about the actual surgery. I had mine under local anesthia (sp?)Quick and not too painful. The shots of local anesthia are the most painful part. You only really feel the first injection. They use a torniquet on your arm I think to lessen blood loss. I didn't like when they remove the torniquet becuz you get that pins and needles feeling. Uncomfortable but not really painful.

Goodluck!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
    Kat1982
    (female)

Kat1982 HB User

Thanks for the information! I was a little concerned that the surgeries are too close together, I will discuss that with my doctor... thank you for pointing that out. This is a work comp case, so I am worried that they are rushing things a little bit. I want to get back to work and better quick, but don't want to risk my healing process.

I have a few more questions if you have the time...

How many weeks would you say I should have in between the two surgeries?
    How long was it before you were able to get some kind of use out of your hands?
    Did you have the release surgery for your thumb as well, and if so did that make the recovery longer?
    I am going to be awake for my surgery, is it a quick surgery?

I am a nut case and just really like to know exactly what I am getting into... I really appreciate your response and information! I was having trouble finding someone that could give me information as to what to expect.

Thanks again... happy healing!!!!

Kat

Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
    ocgirl
    (female)

ocgirl HB User

well I am a stay at home mom with a 16 lb 4 month old and a toddler. I had help with my kids the first 2 weeks and assumed at about 16 days after surgery I would be fine. I wasn't and hurt my hand so I hired a mommy helper for another couple weeks. I would say 3-4 weeks before any significant lifting. What do you do? If you are a typist and don't have to lift you might be back to work sooner. I am typing right now with stitches in my left hand with no pain. I doubt I could do it comfortably all day though. I would ask your doctor becuz everyone heals differently. In fact my both hands are healing differently. Left hand is already feeling pretty good and I don't even have my stitches out.

things to consider is how much help you have at home, how long does he leave stitches in. Average is 10 to 14 days, and of course how you are personally healing. All I have to say is that I am glad that mine was not workers comp because they are interested in getting you back to work not healthy again.

Surgery was maybe 15 minutes start to finish. The electrical studies before my diagnoses were more painful then the actual surgery.

Do not get your second surgery until your stitches from your first surgery have been out a couple days.

The Following User Says Thank You to ocgirl For This Useful Post:
    margiemagic (01-16-2012)
    Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
    Kat1982
    (female)

Kat1982 HB User

Thanks a lot for all the good information... I do a lot of heavy lifting at work, so going back before I am completely healed probably would not be a good idea. I am glad to hear you are healing well though!

Thanks again for all the good information!

Kat

Closed Thread