It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

• Is this carpal tunnel?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
    Lilygirl254
    (female)

Lilygirl254 HB User
    Is this carpal tunnel?

I've been having pain and pins and needles in my left hand. I get pain in my palm and in my thumb. My wrist has pins and needles shooting through it. I get a pain up my arm, but not all the time. I had a nerve conduction test that was negative, but then my neurologist did an ultrasound on my wrist and it was a 10. He said that indicated carpal tunnel. The thing that makes me hesitate is it doesn't wake me up at night. That seems to be common for people with carpal tunnel. Do these symptoms sound like carpal tunnel? Has anybody ever had carpal tunnel where it didn't wake them up at night? I already had my right hand done. I never woke at night with pain in that hand, but I have gotten some relief. Since the left hand didn't register as high as the right hand in the ultrasound I'm still not sure. The surgery's a month away so I have time to cancel. Thank you

Last edited by Lilygirl254; 11-20-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Add information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
    MsKitty34
    (female)

MsKitty34 HB User
    Re: Is this carpal tunnel?

You have probably already decided on the surgery by now but I wanted to say that I had both wrists done early 2013 and neither woke me up much at night but I did use braces. I now have CT in the right hand again and this time I wake up at night because the hand has fallen asleep.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
    Octogent
    (male)

Octogent HB User
    Re: Is this carpal tunnel?

Be sure before you get the surgery. I had the conduction tests done. The neurologist said I had CTS and promptly sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to set a surgery date, giving me a very cursory exam. I told the surgeon I wanted to think about it and I called my son (who lives far from me) who is also an orthopedic surgeon. Talking on the telephone, he asked me to bend my wrist forward as far as it can go and hold it for 30 seconds. He then asked if me hand fell asleep. It didn't. He then said I didn't have CTS. This is the first test an orthopedic surgeon does to check. It turned out I had a pinched nerve in my neck. With a little exercise it went away. So be sure because the surgery takes a long, painful time to heal and the success rate is not very good. Could this be because there was no CTS to begin with?

The Following User Says Thank You to Octogent For This Useful Post:
    Whiskers2005 (01-16-2015)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    carpal tunnel syndrome