It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

Celiacs ... Need Your Take

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
VHDud78
(male)

VHDud78 HB User
Celiacs ... Need Your Take

Hello Everyone. For about 4 months now I've been experiencing an array of weird health issues. In March I started experiencing some burning in my shoulder along with tingling in my arm. Sometimes my arm felt like It was dead. My doctor said I probably strained by trap and sent me to physical therapy. During physical therapy I started noticing the irritation was going into my neck as well. Before I knew it, it moved to the other side of my neck/shoulder/arm. My physical therapist said I probably pinched a nerve in my cervical spine and said continue doing the exercises.. you'll be fine. I went back to the gym with light weight. In May the scary symptoms came on. Stiff neck, dizziness (like wearing someone's glasses), feeling off balance, clumsiness, extreme fatigue, blurred vision, pain behind the eye, cramps in my legs..the whole nine yards. I went to an ortho and he did took xrays of my neck and were normal. He ordered an MRI and that was normal as well. He sent me to a neuro. The neuro tested me for MS and the MRI was clean.

My ortho ordered more physical therapy. Physical therapy helped a little. They discharged me after 4 weeks. I went to a different neuro and he ordered an EMG of my legs. Normal. He ordered an MRI of my lumbar spine..normal. Although I did have some degeneration at L5. Somedays I felt fine..so I would go to the gym. Once I started working out..some of the symptoms would hit me. Stiff neck, dizziness, off balance feeling, fatigue, the whole nine yards. I went back to my primary care doctor and he ordered blood. All normal. I went to a well known chiro in my town. He said my neck was out of alignment. He said I had some arthritis, too I know I don't..if I do..it's minimal. I have plenty of disk space. The treatments have been helping a little with the stiffness, but I still felt very unbalanced, dizzy, clumsy, ect. Sometimes I felt like If I was walking fast I couldn't stop suddenly..otherwise I'd fall over. I did more research and ran across gluten intolerance. That's when the light bulb lit up. BAM. I knew I was always sensitive to gluten. I would get dandruff, skin would itch sometimes, I would jumble my words, fatigue, brain fog...I KNEW it had to be. It made sense. I've been completely gluten free...and I feel....different. I went to the gym last night and felt pretty good. Although, my neck started tightening up again. But my balance seemed to have improved. After my workout..I felt exhausted and fell asleep. After walking on a treadmill at a moderate pace my legs felt like noodles. Celiacs..does it sound like I have a gluten intolerance or possibly Celiac? I never have stomach cramps...but I do get constipation somewhat frequently. Sometimes the stool looks "fatty". Should I get tested for Celiac?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Girl97
(female)

Girl97 HB User
Re: Celiacs ... Need Your Take

Hi,

I would definitely get a celiac disease test. Even if it turns out negative, you can still eat gluten free after that if it makes you feel better but just for your own mind I would get it checked out honestly!

Old 08-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
VHDud78
(male)

VHDud78 HB User

Thanks Girl97. I had some chinese yesterday..no pasta or breaded foods. I ate fish with a yellowish white sauce, polish sausage, and when i got back to work i had diarrhea. Today I feel fatigued..head feels heavy..stiff..legs were tingling like crazy. This week I was starting to feel better. I'm beginning to think it is gluten.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Girl97
(female)

Girl97 HB User

I know what it feels like! I feel like that everytime I go out for dinner and the next day I wake up bloated, fatigued, dizzy and in pain.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
VHDud78
(male)

VHDud78 HB User

Does that happen even if you don't eat gluten? I know some people are really sensitive to cross contamination. Also, when you do strenuous activity..do you experience dizziness or feel off balance? Everyone I work out or lift weight it feels like my whole upper body locks up and I feel like I'm going to fall over.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Girl97
(female)

Girl97 HB User

I only feel like that when eating gluten. Went gluten free for a while and my symptoms started going away!

About the dizzyness when working out, I also lift and when I eat gluten I get dizzy, lightheaded and out of breath pretty fast when working out.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
VHDud78
(male)

VHDud78 HB User

How long did it take for your symptoms to go away after going gluten free the first time?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Girl97
(female)

Girl97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHDud78 View Post
How long did it take for your symptoms to go away after going gluten free the first time?
It took me about a month before the dizzyness went away DURING MY WORKOUTS. The standard dizzyness I had during the day went away pretty fast, after like a week or so.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

So sorry you are feeling badly. How frustrating!

Yes, I think you should be tested. Not all Celiacs have the stomach issues. It can manifest in many different ways. I mostly have the constipation and muscle weakness and severe fatigue. Joint pain is also very common.

Don't give up!

Last edited by SOE; 08-29-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

P.S. If you have Celiac, cross-contamination is a BIG issue. It's no different than just eating the gluten. It literally just takes a hint of cross-contamination to do me in.

Also, wheat is in nearly everything -- even unnecessarily. Like many potato chips, corn chips have wheat in them.

It's in many medications -- and that's not labeled.

It's in seasonings, preservatives, "flavorings." It's not enough to just not eat bread. The more you read labels and ask about ingredients, the more shocked you are going to be.

Last edited by SOE; 08-29-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: More info.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
VHDud78
(male)

VHDud78 HB User

Thanks everyone. I had blood work done as well. My iron, vitamin D, calcium levels were fine. You would think if it was celiac..my blood levels would be low? That's I'm confused.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

Not necessarily. Everyone is different and there are so many variables.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
VHDud78
(male)

VHDud78 HB User

Hey everyone. I talked to my chiro and he took my blood and is going to have it tested for food allergies. I haven't had gluten in probably 2 weeks. I think I may have ingested gluten over the weekend from a salad. Since I haven't eaten solid gluten in a while..will it still show up on the food allergen test? They also said my urine sample showed I was VERY dehydrated. I drink water constantly. So..I guess it's all making sense now. I do pee quite often. I read that Celiacs or people sensitive to gluten tend to dehydrate easily. My chiro said the same thing. Maybe that's why I feel so dizzy and off balance? The past few mornings I've been waking up to unusual sensations in my legs. Tingling..and it feels like there's a sock over them.

Last edited by VHDud78; 09-02-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #14
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

Having not had gluten for 2 weeks may affect your tests, but I don't think there is a definitive answer. Having gone without may give you a false negative.

Last edited by SOE; 09-02-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Reply Reply