It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

retesting... freaking out

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
amanville
(female)

amanville HB User
retesting... freaking out

a year ago i finally got fed up with severe health issues and went to my family physician to discuss some options. i told her i thought i could have a gluten issue and she told me that due to my symptoms and family history, she didn't recommend a test because it was almost a guarantee that i had celiac disease and to just not eat gluten. well now I'm in college and need to get proper documentation for my illness and it just so happens i switched to University of Chicago's celiac disease center. issue is, i was never officially tested and so i may need to be tested. because i have been gluten free for almost a year, the test will come back negative unless i go on a gluten challenge. I'm scared because gluten in even the smallest amounts makes me so sick i can't do anything for days. i get violently ill even when someone uses the same colander for gluten free pasta as they did for regular pasta. i can't do the challenge for one cause id be so sick and two i would have to miss classes, but i can't afford not to because of the disability paperwork i need in case i do get sick and have to miss a class. what do i do? I'm scared and far away from my family. I'm in an impossible position and kinda hating my family physician now.

The following user gives a hug of support to amanville:
SOE (09-25-2015)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: retesting... freaking out

Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry you are going through this difficulty!

Can you ask your previous physician to just "officially" diagnose you? Put it in a report or something so that it is "properly" documented?

Since she told you that you probably had Celiac, if you explain your situation, perhaps she will accommodate you?

Reply Reply

Tags
advice, scared, testing