It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

Need help with labs for my son

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
virginiastef
(female)

virginiastef HB User
Need help with labs for my son

Need some help with lab results. My oldest son was diagnosed celiac 6 years ago by labs and biopsy. I have been tested but have been gluten free for years so labs and biopsy came back negative but I do have the gene for celiac. My youngest doesn't have many symptoms except lots of constipation and some questionable behavior things going on. I had my youngest blood work done the other day and everything came back negative on the celiac screen except the Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) Antibody, IgG (U/mL) which was a weak positive. Our primary doctor said no he doesn't have celiac because the other other antibodies were not positive and he doesn't have the classic symptoms. I know better than to believe that because everyone's symptoms are different. Our house is fully gluten free so he only eats gluten at school for lunch or at his dad's house every other weekend so he doesn't get exposed a lot. Should I bring him to a gastroenterologist to be biopsied or wait and see?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
Re: Need help with labs for my son

Not sure why you or your son should go through all those tests. The symptoms are probably a better indicater. Eating gluten free is really good even if you don't have celiac disease. My wife has it and treats it by diet even though some days are better than others. After many years she does her best to live with it.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Need help with labs for my son

Hello

I'm no expert. There's a high likelihood that he has it, if you do. And I agree with you that everyone has different symptoms.

Biopsies are so hit and miss based on which sections they pull to biopsy. They could pull a healthy section and miss the damaged section. If he doesn't eat much gluten, I wonder if that would be affecting his blood test results?

Maybe get a second opinion before going for the biopsy?

Reply Reply